New Combi, dreadful noise from pipes!!

Quick update everybody.....
Engineer on Saturday was waste of time and being referred to big cheif engineeer man from BG next week :eek:
Isolating the toilet was an act of genious it actually made a huge difference! The noise levels reduced significantly,I think this shows that isolating different things is a good way forward and I have learnt something :D
Strangely enough after turning said toilet back on it is still a much quieter house so don't know what happened there? Still have problems with hammer/thudding on tap and occassional BANG! here and there but much better all round.
Will report when everything is sorted
Cheers
Andy

Sponsored Links
The cold mains is the prime suspect - if you get water hammer when you turn hot and cold on together, you are pulling more water from the mains than you used to now that the hot is also fed by the cold mains. In fact all your taps and loos are probably drawing from the main.
(In the old system, the hot came from your tank and for most taps and loos the cold also came from your tank, apart from the kitchen tap).

What's the latest ?

Ye gads! Ive just discovered this topic whilst searching for an answer to my current problem with an Evo combi... the description is exactly what Ive been suffering for the last 18 months! Not good for you perhaps but good for me to know theres people out there who understand - Ive been threatened with men in white coats when Ive tried to describe the incredible noise in the middle of the night! ( I'd like to add that my whole house was replumbed so the suggestion of old pipes being disturbed doesnt apply). However, I havent heard it yet as the heatings not on - but I'll be ready and armed when it does! :LOL:

Replace the old stoptap and fit a shock arrestor. Make sure all pipes are clipped well and no toilet is passing water. Air trapped in cut off and capped off dead-leg pipes could also be a problem too.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Doctor! I have had the stopcock replaced so its off to get an arrestor before the weather breaks :) :) :)

Doctor Drivel said:
Replace the old stoptap and fit a shock arrestor. Make sure all pipes are clipped well and no toilet is passing water. Air trapped in cut off and capped off dead-leg pipes could also be a problem too.

All sound like the right ideas Doc......
I am having a somewhat break from the situation for I need to get bloody Dyno-rod round here to change toilet innards and i can't take time off work urrrrgh!
Funnily enough,isolating the toilet stopped the terrible noise (but not the tap hammer) and when i put the toilet back on via isolation valve all stayed clear for a few days.Now out of the blue it's started up again :( even turning off the toilet by the valve doesn't seem to have sorted it this time.
From what I have seen from all you good peoples answers Docs sort of sums up the general concensus from you all and will be the route i will take ,unfortunately certain pipes are under laminate floor and floor tiles (another lesson learnt) so can't clip em
Will report all to you soon and sorry to hear that you have had similar problems annie it's a total headache :(

Maybe your old pipes are not clipped under floors and in attic spaces?

With the previous, gravity fed system, the pressure would not of been as high, but now you have a high pressured mains system, the pipe may just need clipped.

Ok all sorry for the delay but the problem has finally been fixed! :eek:

As promised I said i would tell all as to what it was in case someone else has similar problem and it helps at all.

The problem turned out to be a faulty stopcock, the insides had got broken during the turning on and off of it during installation of boiler.

The reason why the banging wasn't being caused by anything I was doing in my house was down to the fact it was happening from neighbours flushing their toilets!
My house is shared with three other houses water main,when they flushed it caused a surge making the stopcock bounce causing vibration which caused the dreadful noise.
A few things to bear in mind worth noting.......
When you have a noise in your plumbing there is very little chance that noise will be made when the bloke is round to fix it,that would be too convenient! Do what I did and tape it using your mobile phone,they are very clever machines and will tape for hours, this proved very useful when the king of british gas came round to fix it and he could hear it for himself ,it also showed a pattern when it was happening (next door bloke gets up at 6 to go to work and has a wee in the morning first thing lol)

Luckily a mate of mine is a plumber and this didn't cost me the earth in the end (even tho he spent many hours round mine)but caused me a lot of grief i could have done without.

Many thanks all that replied and hope this might help someone else with same annoying sleep preventing problem.

Till my next disaster
Andy :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back