new consumer unit problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a new split load consumer unit fitted - however when the sparky powered it up the RCD kept tripping. After a process of elimination it appears that is it the fridge - prior to this we had no problems with the fridge? Any suggestions as to why it keeps tripping the RCD?

Sponsored Links
its not uncommon for fridges to do that. two suggestions

get new fridge (not good)

move fridge supply to non rcd side, besides if the rcd trips while you are on hols you will loose all the fridge contents

problem being that it is all fed off the same ring - it is currently on non- rcd side to keep it running. What i can't understand I did the same at my old house - fitted a split load CU and had the same fridge - no probs??
could it be anthing to do with compressor motor - maybe something like carbon deposits internally from the brushes?

fridge compressors are (i think) induction motors so have no brushes, but it can be getting old.

Sponsored Links
fridge is approx 3 - 3 1/2 yrs old?? if this means anything

Fridges should be run from their own separate NON-RCD circuit, fed by its own 10A MCB, so that a fault elsewhere will NOT ruin the food in it.
Use a fused connection unit to connect the fridge to satisfy BS7671.

Did your sparky not discuss the issue of a F/F on an RCD supply? Not because of the fault you have (that shouldn't be happening), but because of the risks to the contents should the RCD trip.

The phrase "duty of care" comes to mind....

What about the duty of care when a spark bypasses an rcd, knowing that the appliance is faulty?

Once he knows there's a problem with the appliance, he can't allow it to be connected, surely?

I've never thought of an unprotected circuit just for f/f a good idea for that very reason. What happens if the appliance develops a fault that would trip the rcd if it were protected by one?

It reminds me of a post I put in another topic about my parents-in-law whose dishwasher was tripping the rcd. Their spark disconnected the main earth to solve the problem, which got worse. The element was grounding, and it cut a huge hole in the bottom of the d/w and had begun to burn the carpet.

Imagine the consequences of that? RCD's always trip for a reason, and I'm a firm believer that all appliances (and their users) benefit from the protection an rcd gives, and to disconnect an appliance from the rcd and refeed it from the unprotected side is sheer incompetence.

My mother has all her appliances in the kitchen protected by rcd, and the circuit has only tripped once in 12 years - due to her cutting through the hedgetrimmer flex.....
Sorry.

while most of us agree with your idea, it is a common fact that fridges trip rcd's so by your own rules get a new fridge as it will cost a lot to get the fridge repair man

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back