New consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have old style fuse box which I need to update to a 17th consumer unit, question is will I need to replace the wiring throughout the house?

Any help is very great full

Sponsored Links
Before you replace it you'll need to test what is there; eg. an EICR. That'll tell what needs replacing and what is OK. You'll need some kit to do this properly.

I will be getting a qualified electrician to do this, what I'm thinking is how much mess and causing upheaval around the house may be involved

I will be getting a qualified electrician to do this, what I'm thinking is how much mess and causing upheaval around the house may be involved

AS above. If the wiring is in a serviceable condition then it will only need to be the consumer unit that is changed plus upgrading to the earthing. So not that much upheaval.

If the wiring needs replacing then you can expect floors to be taken up, walls chased out, tiles taken off, redecorating and making good on a large scale.

The only way to find out is to have a qualified electrician do a full test and report on the installation (EICR). Then you'll know what you are in for.

Sponsored Links
As previous post have mentioned an EICR (electrical installation condition report). This will flag up most issues and recommendation on any remedial work or updates required. Only then will know what upheaval will be required as not all installation are suitable for a straight swap over and a EICR would help identify any inherent issues and hopefully prevent any attributed power loss in the future.
The EICR will require access to the existing fuse board, the metering, the earthing conductor, main earth bonding clamps, any supplementary bonding, switches, sockets, light fittings, outlet plates, isolators, fused connections, accessible joint/junctions etc.... So would be very helpful to the electrician if you are familiar with the positioning of these and they are accessible.
Also as your existing wiring to the existing fuse board could well short in length and require extending, sometimes this can be done within the new board, sometimes external of the new board or sometimes if more practicable a new length fitted and don't rule out the need for new tails, earthing conductor and main earth bonding to be updated.

When was the house built or last re-wired. This is usually a good indication of whether it would require a rewire

House was built in the 70s

In that case the wiring itself should be in good condition, and won't need replacing.

However, there could be things that need upgrading, checking etc. There may be a few bodged alterations that have been done in the past, so it would be sensible to get the place inspected.

But the short answer is; you shouldn't need a re-wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back