New Cooker & Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a new kitchen installed & have had an electrician in to do the major work - He has not come back to hook up the hob & electric oven.

I have a wall switch - which I think was for the Hob - but he led me to believe that I could put the cooker on a standard plug. When I went to B&Q for the plug, I was told not to do this - but on the cooker instructions it says that this is ok? It is a 240V cooker

Please help me I am confused! :rolleyes: I don't want to have to pay for an electrician if it's a simple job that I can do, but I also don't want to get into any trouble, if I don't have the right certificates (as the B&Q man told me)

Sponsored Links
How big is the:

Hob in watts

Oven in watts

Cable feeding the circuit

Fuse/MCB feeding the cable in Amps

(amevan - Please try not to user the words "oven" and "cooker" interchangeably)

Sponsored Links
I bought an oven (elec) & hob (gas) package from Macro recently, when the electrician came to wire in the oven he told me that because it was below a certain power rating (forgtten amount, sorry) it could be plugged in to a 13amp socket.

If the oven & hob were bought in the UK and are UK spec then if the instructions say it can be pluggen in then you should be able to follow them without worry of doing something wrong.

yes, you are about right, but amevan has not yet told us the power ratings of his equipment so we are not able to tell him.

If amevan used the word "cooker" in B&Q he would (should) have got a different reply to that he would have got from the word "oven." They are not the same thing.

amevan, most of the oven you buy in B&q will go on a plug top and just plug in just look for the KW rating, it must be 3KW or lower. if your electrician is wiring the hob this will need to go on the 6mm feed cable via your wall switch. just find the rating of the oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back