New CU, one 32A breaker for all sockets !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be changing my CU on the weekend as one of my assessments for the NIC to look at. All the sockets on the ring, upstairs & downstairs, come from a single 32A circuit breaker in the CU. I was going to put these on the RCD side of a new split load CU but now I'm thinking it might keep nusiance tripping. What do you think ?

Sponsored Links
You must put the circuit on the RCD side unless you can make the argument that there are other sockets more likely to supply equipment outdoors that are RCD protected (RCD sockets near doors/windows...).

Can't you split the ring?

Personally I (and many others) RCD protect all socket outlets.

It would be better if you could split the ring, but I can not see grounds for non compliance if you leave it as one ring on the RCD.

RF Lighting said:
Personally I (and many others) RCD protect all socket outlets..

Yes - it unofficially gives you supplementary protection against direct contact from faulty hand - held appliances (worn flexes etc)

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the reply.

The sockets have to be put on the RCD to comply. Splitting the ring is pretty much out of the question. I was just worried it might keep tripping.

Norv said:
The sockets have to be put on the RCD to comply..

No - as said above they have to be on an RCD if they can reasonably be expected to supply equipment outside the equipotential zone.But this generally means all sockets downstairs in a typical house.

You will not go wrong with putting them all on the RCD though!

Providing you IR tests are ok then there shoulnd be no more tendancy for nusiance tripping than in a standard 2/3 ring split load setup.

The only difference is if a fault were to occour then you can not narrow it down to just one part of the house.

Re: RCDing all sockets, Nowt wrong with carrying out installations to a higher standard than BS7671 demands ;)

Agree, if the DPC is anything to go by we will see a change in the next edition of the regs requiring all normal sockets to be on an RCD.

I thought ALL sockets (domestic anyway) should now be RCD protected? 411.3.3 unless they were for a specific piece of equipment, eg fridge/washer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back