New door knobs on internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help as I'm going :evil:

I have 3 internal doors in my living room/dining room and decided to ditch the brass effect door knobs for new satin effect knobs. I took off the old knobs, keeping the latches in the door. The new knobs are slightly "off" the old screw holes so I've had to make new holes.

I've put the new knobs on and they all seem to be sticking :(. I'm turning the knob and the latch opens the door but it doesn't "return" as it should. I've tried loosening the screws but it doesn't seem to do much. What have I done wrong? Should I have "lined up" the door knobs on the spindle before screwing them on?

Help. I want door knobs that I can turn and use properly and I'm finding this really infuriating that I can't make them work properly.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
do the handles one at a time remove all the screws
you will have 3or4mm play move the handle sideway[on the spindle] one side till it stops then to the other side. return handle to half way inbetween
same up and down centralise thats where the handle will work best
assuming the lock and hole in the door lined up properly in the first place

Sponsored Links
Most likely the spindle is too long, or the spindle is being pushed off-centre (as mentioned above) and needs adjusting. If the latch springs out when the handle is attached but not screwed - you know the latch is ok.

take the handles off the door.

place the handles on a flat surface, as they would sit on the door, and see if they sit flat or rock.

if they do rock it means part of the internal moving parts are in contact with the door. the tighter the screws, the tighter the handle.

it will mean you have to countersink a bigger hole for the shaft and the handle turn mechanism. ;)

It's gotta be a spindle issue surely. Start again and attach knobs but don't tighten the screws. Play around turning the handle. Observe the latch carefully.

Sometimes this problem can be caused by the spindle rubbing against the hole in the door, resulting in the spindle jamming. Check that the spindle is in straight and not crooked.

Are you using the same face plate dedicated spindle or a new spindle that came with the new knobs?

If no luck, you could maybe try looking at replacing the face plate and latch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back