New fascia boards/ soffits and SPOT LIGHTS to go with them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've a 3 bed end of terrace 'flat-roof (felted)' house. I am having new fascia boards and soffits installed this weekend.
The existing fascia boards and soffits are made of timber and the new ones are going to be 'clad-over' UPVA (plastic) fascias and soffits.

I've seen a lot of houses these days with soffit lights (spotlamps built into the soffits) pointing down which we really fancy having on our house now.

The timber soffits currently have 50-60 mm holes every 100 cms near to wall but the new ones are just plain continuos with no vent/ holes. They are the right size and are supposed to go on top of existing soffits with poly pins.

The questions at the moment are:
1. Do you generally get soffit lighting for the front of house only or for the back as well?
2. What is the kit that I need to buy? If you could break it down with items like bulbs (wattage, ams etc) and price, it would be great.
3. Would I need a transformer or can I get AC low wattage spot lamps.
4. Since there is no loft, would drilling a hole through soffit into the gap between ceiling and roof be safe? I intend to then bring the wire down through the wall into a socket/ switch.
5. How big of a job is this and how much should the equipment cost? Is it fairly cheap to run these lights daily?
6. Do we need to drill holes in the soffits for lights before we put them on or can we do that afterwards as well?

Sorry for the long mail and thanks in advance for your valuable tips.

Kind regards
Kunal

Sponsored Links
your holes will still be there with a coresponding vent in the plastic either in the form of a round vent or strip vent if not youll get damp problems as theres no air flow

sorry miss read your post
but you should still have ventilation to avoid damp

because its cladding you need the timber to be in good nick

you could maybe remove all the soffits replace with new wood after installing wire through the joists and tied clear of where your going to drill then when you install the plastic mark up where the wires are and drill through both

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back