New fence guide

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im about to replace my garden fence but would just like a bit of advice on the best way to do it. (I have already purchased the new fence - 6x6 panels and 75x75x2.4m wooden posts)

Firstly removing the old fence, - some of the wooden posts have broken or are rotten but others are still fairly strong in the ground - I assume concreted in so whats the best way to get these out?

Putting the new fence up, - what is the best way to do it, - do I put the posts in 1st then the panels or should I secure the 1st panel to the wall and then go from there? Just a bit unsure about getting the post in the right position before putting the panel in eg im worried about the post moving or there being a gap between the post and panel once its cemented in?

Only other issue is the new posts will be going in the same holes that the old ones came out of, - could this be a problem if I have problems getting the old posts out eg large amount of concrete & massive hole etc?

Thanks for any help/advice

Sponsored Links
do you have a whole number of panels to do, or is the end one to be cut down to make it fit? If the latter, start at that end and your posts will not have to go in the same locations as the old ones. Then, cut off at ground level.

If you do insist on getting the concrete out, dig out on one side and use whatever is left of the post to lever it into the space. Or hire a breaker and smash it up in situ, then remove.

Fitting goes thus: post, panel, post... not post post post...panel, panel, panel

Position the 2nd post in its hole and pack loosely with your damp dry-mix concrete. That way you can check it for level and plumb before filling completely. Use the panel as the spacer. Easy with one, even easier with two people :D

Agree with previous, put the new posts between where the old ones were to avoid digging out concrete.
Don't skimp on the concrete, one bag of postfix per post is never enough. Use a couple of bags of ballast and half bag of cement per post, you can get a liquid admixture that makes regular cement set very quickly. Or use rapidset cement (more expensive)

A post hole digger will make life a lot easier, otherwise use a post digging spade and gardening trowel.

If you don't fancy doing it again in five years consider getting some concrete spurs to hold the posts up (aka godfathers)

Unfortunatly it is a whole number of panels so new posts will have to go in the same holes as originals!

Whats the best way of getting it straight and level (height)? just string across the top at the required height or check depth of each hole & ensure all the same to follow the ground level - there maybe a very slight slope!

Do you recommend postcrete as well as some ballast/hardcore in the bottom, or should I use regular cement? - 1 bag per post seems quite a lot or is that normal?

Sponsored Links
Last time I did a post getting them out was by far the biggest problem (for me anyway as an infrequent solo fence repairer) took me about 3-4 hours of back breaking work and ended up with a hole that needed 4 bags of postcrete, 1 bag of postcrete will go nowhere. I know the professionals can do a couple of posts in that time) I set them up vertical with 2 timber struts and fixed those solid before filling the hole again. I pity the next poor chap who has to inevitably change the base when the new post eventually fails so think I’d go for the Deluks grandfathers next time if I knew I was staying in the same house for the next few years. Standing on a ladder and looking down the row is a good way to check you’re all lined up straight.

Half bag of cement per post. Dont need any hardcore, just scoop out any loose earth from the bottom, and tamp down with end of a fence post. Ideally just concrete in the hole, but once it's half full, you can bulk it up with some broken bricks or fist sized bits of rubble.

It would be less work to cut a whole panel in half and repair with some treated batten, and have half a panel at each end, than dig it all out.
But if you do decide to dig out, any posts that are still complete can be levered out with the old concrete attached, if you loosen the soil around the post with a garden fork.

Use a taut string, if its touching the string and is level on two adjacent sides, then they will all line up.

Definately use 4 inch posts for a 6 foot high fence escpecially a solid panel type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back