New fireplace - wood beam, distances?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are soon to build a two storey extension at the rear of house which will incorporate a new chimney and fireplace.

I am currently trying to design my fireplace and I want to have a wood beam across the opening. Does anyone know what the rules are regarding distances from the fire that it needs to be installed? We will be installing a stove. I would prefer a real beam but would consider a fake one (an oak facia of some sort)

Any help appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
My friend had a stove installed, the fitter used a sheet of steel on a spacer, fixed to the back of the beam, as a heatshield. You can just about see it but hardly noticeable.

I've about 600mm from top of the stove and consider it minimum regardless off what the box tickers might say.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies guys - are the distances you've quoted going to a fake beam (i.e. a concrete lintel with a food fascia) or an actual wooden beam acting as a lintel. We would like to the latter if possible!!

Use concrete for the lintel. Timber will burn out fred dibnah style.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back