New Floor Standing Boiler Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our old boiler of near 30 years (Baxi FS 501 OF) has bit the dust. The heat exchanger has leaked, ruining the Burner assembly in the process. I have a limited budget so I consider trying to source replacement parts but putting aside the fact that a new boiler would be a better investment, the parts needed would come to the cost of a new boiler.

The Baxi is the old type floor standing boiler with a seperate adjacent pump (situated in the kitchen), with a copper cistern mounted in the airing cupboard (top of the stairs). I've had two quotes from gas engineers so far. One said we wouldn't be able to get another floor standing boiler replaced in situ, the other said we could but it would probably be at a premium. Both combi boiler quotes were around £2500.

I'd like some independent advice please. Although a nice new combi boiler and radiators would be lovely, it's out of my price range. Is there any reason why I can't just have another floor standing boiler fitted - such as this Baxi EcoBlue 15 - and keep everything else, as is?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That's not a floor standing boiler.....

where is the boiler sited? Is it on an outside wall?

£2500 is cheap for a conversion from floor standing Gravity hw/pumped htg to combi.
They'll be a lot of work involved in that and I'll be looking for probably nearer double that.

Yes it's in the corner of the kitchen, one side of which faces the side of the house, there's a vent and an open flu.

Oh, I didn't realise, I searched for floor standing boilers and that came up in the results.

It's no ordinary boiler swap.

You are having to convert to fully pumped from gravity hot water. That's 1970s tech.

It was due a upgrade a long time ago. In fact it's upgrade was due an upgrade.

Get an installer than can take credit card payments if need be. There's a time and place for credit cards and currys for an up to date led tv isn't one of them......... in my opinion

Sponsored Links
£2500 is cheap for a conversion from floor standing Gravity hw/pumped htg to combi.
They'll be a lot of work involved in that and I'll be looking for probably nearer double that.

i wouldn't do it for that price that is cheap

Get an installer than can take credit card payments if need be. There's a time and place for credit cards and currys for an up to date led tv isn't one of them......... in my opinion
god i hate currys useless t***s

I appreciate that it's old tech and ideally could use a complete overhaul but is there absolutely no option where we could get another floor standing boiler and keep everything else as it is? Or even fit a wall mounted boil in the same space, if it's smaller it could be raised off the ground if that is required.

I'd like some independent advice please. Although a nice new combi boiler and radiators would be lovely, it's out of my price range. Is there any reason why I can't

I appreciate that it's old tech and ideally could use a complete overhaul but is there absolutely no option where we could get another floor standing boiler and keep everything else as it is? Or even fit a wall mounted boil in the same space, if it's smaller it could be raised off the ground if that is required.

as you said price is a premium fair enough but it would probably cost you a lot more , if those recommended quotes are sound in your situation it would make sense to go with that ,for which i think is cheap . A floor standing boiler is much dearer usually plus your controls need sorting as well .

another floor standing boiler and keep everything else as it is?

You can't. Building regs changed 11 years ago.

fit a wall mounted boil in the same space,

Unlikely, but you might get a rear exiting wall hung boiler to fit. Vokera, Baxi and Ideal make them. But dimensions are dependant.

I can't think of a single domestic floor standing boiler that A) I would choose to fit. B) would be cheaper than £2500.

Which is a very low price by the way.

@FlexiPack Has the heat ex actually split? What parts have you been told that you need?

I would be surprised if it couldn't be repaired for less than the cost of the parts if available.

Where abouts are you situated?

Jon

Buy an old boiler off of ebay and then get somone to install it. All totally illegal but the only way you will get it done for less than 2.5k.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back