New floor too high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
High everyone.
This is my first post so please be gentle with me. I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to DIY. I've always just been the guy that helped my mates to fix things around my house but now times have moved on and I need to be able to do things myself.

The laminate flooring in my bathroom is cheap rubbish and is not water resistant. As a result after a few years of being fitted it is bubbling up and needs replacing. I've gone out and bought new waterproof laminate flooring that is more suitable for a bathroom application.

My problem is the old flooring is only about 8mm thick but the new flooring is considerably thicker at 14mm. This is obviously going to raise the floor about 6mm. Of course this now means that the toilet and the sink are no longer going to fit.

My question is this:
Rather than having to drill new holes in the tiles and try and get the sink and toilet waste pipe to line up again, is is possible to file 6mm off the bottom of the porcelain toilet somehow? This may sound like a ridiculous idea but I was just wondering if it's feasible?

Thanks.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Investigate offset toilet pan connectors and telescopic basin wastes, Jason.....grinding the loo base isn't the way here, but its probably been done before!
John

Fit the new laminate around the toilet and sink pedestal, fiddly but doable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your replies. I appreciate the advice.
So I guess I'll give up on that idea and go back to plan A (making the toilet and sink fit).

I had thought about cutting the floor around the toilet and sink but I've bought good quality flooring this time and when I can afford to fit a new toilet and sink at some point in the future I don't want to have to replace the flooring again.

I think John's suggestion of "offset toilet pan connectors and telescopic basin wastes" will be the route I take. The toilet already has an offset waste connector which is about half an inch offset. I guess I'll look for one that's a little more offset and hope I can fit it without it leaking. I hate working with water pipes as I always end up with leaks! I'm going to have leak issues when I take the toilet out anyway between the upper and basin part of the toilet.

Thanks again for your help everyone.

Jason

The best waste designs are made by Mcalpine, I find......see what they have and hopefully your luck will be in.
Hope you enjoy your project, and it goes well - there will be plenty of snags
but thats DIY!
John :)

If you're in a position to replace your bathroom furniture within the next year or so then the few spare laminate planks you will have will replace any cutout sections. Anything beyond this time frame will probably mean a new floor anyway.

It's only a quarter of an inch difference; you might find you can jiggle it all back into place anyway...

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back