New Front door Canopy / Porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, looking to get some advice from builders or seasoned engineers on approach to putting up something which going to be similar to this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAyNFg3Njg=/z/wyUAAOxyThVTa0HG/$_86.JPG

Ours is to be constructed with 2 front posts, 6" x 6" at 8' in height. The cover will have a footprint of 4'6" x 8' and have a pitched roof. It will be made with graded, treated timber (to be painted white) and with marine ply riif topped with membrane and concrete roof tiles to match out house roof.

My question is this - should we anchor the porch where it meets the house by using brick fixings to secure the 'A' frame to the brick face of the house, or should we cut out the brick, securing the wood frame by slotting it into the brick so that it rests on it?

Sponsored Links
Its a big problem!, my thoughts, chopping out a brick would be the strongest but its making the pointing good without making the joint too wide or filling the cavity up with mortar is the main problem. You can get 6mm wide striking irons at any decent lime supplier, which would do the trick. mask of the timber and the surrounding brickwork with masking tape.
The wall plate is exposing its 4" dimension to water collection and it should be on edge as it will be eight time stronger in that axis. I would be tempted to move the last rafter/facia board over the end of it to keep the water off.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back