new fuse box for loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

can someone advise, looks like i need a new fuse box as no space available on current CU.

i want to get 4 power points , 6 led dimmed + 1 light in the loft.

what is average price for supply + fit new fuse box and which one do you need.

is any units/boxes needed in loft?

Sponsored Links
You don't need an additional consumer unit for a couple of lights and sockets.

In any event, 'fuseboxes' must be accessible.

Consider this. You put the fusebox in the loft. One of the circuits (as you have said) will be the loft light.

One fine day there is a problem in that fusebox and you need to access it. (its in the loft).

But the loft light doesnt work, because of the fault in the loft fusebox..

Not practical, is it?

And as stated above, you dont need an extra fusebox for a few more sockets and lights, just extend existing circuits.

In answer to your question
what is average price for supply + fit new fuse box and which one do you need.
Budget about the same as a weekend away. It could be a weekend in Bognor, or a weekend in Monte Carlo. It depends.

thanks.

forgot to mention smoke detectors in every room so this is probably why need new fuse box

Sponsored Links
thanks.

forgot to mention smoke detectors in every room so this is probably why need new fuse box

Again, no reason as such for a new consumer unit.

Does your consumer unit consist of MCBs, and importantly, is RCD protection there?

thanks.

Again, no reason as such for a new consumer unit.

Does your consumer unit consist of MCBs, and importantly, is RCD protection there?

it's old cu with wire fuses i changed some of them to be switches (MCB?)
not sure about rcd but i don't think so.

An RCD may normally have 100 mA or 30 mA printed on it. It may not be part of the consumer unit.

Without pictures, it does seem beneficial to change the consumer unit. Pictures would be helpful if possible.

As you will be adding sockets, and there is a chance (though possibly only a small one) you may be having new cables concealed in a wall at less than 50 mm deep, you will need RCD protection.

Your picture doesn't show any RCDs, and even if there is one not shown in the picture, it wouldn't be done the correct way.

So yes, it would be very sensible to get a new consumer unit, as it would 'correct' all the wiring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back