new halogen downlights have all blown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help?

I have recently installed two sets of three halogen downlights into the landing ceiling. I have conected the wires from the two transformer boxes to the single old light fitting. it looked really very nice but in the space of a month all six bulbs have gone; one by one. Prehaps I should have known this might happen as the old single landing light bulb needed replacing often.

Is this a simple problem that I can fix?

would appreciate some help (I spent ages putting up the new ceiling!!! :( )

Sponsored Links
It could be that the lamp/bulbs are just bad quality.

We had to replace 50% of bulbs on a set we used for the utility room, try Osram or Phillips.

Now we buy fittings and lamps separately.

If you have a loop in system (daisy chained from previous ceiling rose in turn) it may be worth checking all terminals to make sure they are all tight and secure.

Another tip - once you've got your decent lamps, whenever one goes replace it asap, as it's not unknown for C&N transformers to rely on the full load being present to get the output voltage down to 12V, so if one third of the load disappears, the output voltage rises...

Sponsored Links
We had the same problem with a Screwfix track light Flexline 5 Spot Lv Track. We changed the bulbs for some expensive ones (about £5 each!) that had a black coating on the back to prevent the light reflecting backwards onto the ceriling but these still blew. In the end we sent the whole unit back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back