New hardwood front door-I want to paint it !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had delivered today our new, m&t, hardwood front door. For various reasons I want to give it a painted finish.
Do I need any special primer for hardwood ?
Do I need any special undercoat for hardwood ?
Do I need to use a primer or will a thinned down coat of undercoat (external quality) do just as well ?
Apart from using good quality materials are there any other tips ?

Thanks

Brian ;)

Sponsored Links
it is going to last a long time

be sure to treat the top and bottom twice a thoroughly as the bits that show

Add a weather strip (what's the proper name?) at the bottom of the outside to throw rain off. you get best results if you paint the door and the strip separately, and afterwards fix it using long non-rusting screws from the inside

I find aluminium wood primer gives good results on hardwood.

don't use black or a dark colour if it is exposed to the sun.

do all your drilling, planing and cutting before you paint it so that the locks knobs, hinges etc just screw straight on afterwards when it is hardened. If you can paint it indoors you will not be rushed - trial fit it, then put the old door back. If you can get a suitable lift-off hinge this will make future repaints easier.

fit the letterbox as far from the latch knob as you can - preferably on a side panel to the hinge side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back