New Heat Exchanger?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After having the gas man back out to my Sime Friendly for a water leak from the main compartment it turns out it could be a pin hole leak in the heat exchanger causing the problem. The water was actually sat above the heat exchanger which led to the vent being checked for flooding but nothing can actually get in via the vent so the heat exchanger is thought to be leaking slightly, the fan sucking it up and out untill the pressure drops too low for the boiler to work meaningwhat water is left on the fan dropping back on the top of the heat exchanger. As a rough guess the guy thought it would be around 200 quid for the exchanger but im not sure if he meant parts only or including fitting, does this sound a reasonable price? He did say if i hadnt just had the pump done on top of all the old repairs he would reccomend a new boiler but because its the last piece to be replaced we virtually have a new boiler anyway. Came out first thing this morning too with a bad cold and didnt charge either. It didnt leak while he was here and just said to watch the pressure guage to see if it drops over the next week and if it does give him a call back. There are some really good gas men out there willing to help out on a cold winter day, not everyone is a cowboy rip off merchant.

Sponsored Links
If he is a good as you say (and I'm not doubting that for one minute, there are plenty of us about), it could well include fitting.

Realistically though I would have thought about £230-£260 + VAT all in, depending what 'friendly' you have.

Just to make sure you don't have a system leak I would pressurise to 2.5 bar when cold then close flow and return isolators (which on a sime will start to leak) watch pressure guage. Note pressure change After 1/2 hr open flow and return if pressure drops further you have a system leak.

If you don't wish to invite trouble with the isolators, just pressurise cold as close to 3 bar as you dare, it's a gamble they can blow off from 2.5 upwards. Then look at the heat exchanger to find problem..

Before you go spending out on a heat ex and laods of labour.

There is definatly a leak on it somewhere, ive got a tub of water to prove it :) He said to watch the pressure over the next few days as he turned it up to 1.5 cold (around 2 hot) and call him if it drops again. It seems easy enough access for the heat exchanger, a few screws to remove the panel and then there it is right in front of you. Im guessing a (tight) nut either side and its out, but ive never removed one before so it could be more involved than that. The boiler is just a Friendly, no other markings on it at all. The sheet on the panel says 80,000btu for hot water, is this really low? Since a new pumps been fitted the water is lovely and hot for the first time in three years!

Sponsored Links
Ive seen on the Bg website that they do a fixed price repair for 168 quid all in. It sounds an ok price but if my normal guy is only going to charge 200 quid all in i think id rather stick with him, at least he knows the boiler.

I would prefer you to employ him but I fear he cannot do the full job for only £200 and that the BG fixed price would be the cheaper option.

If you do that perhaps you should give him £30-£40 for his help even though he has been so nice.

There are many boiler repair people who are nice to people contrary to the image promoted by gossip and rogue traders!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back