New Heated Towel Rail blows fuse...

In these items (immersion or oven), if the L to E is open circuit (as it should be), and the L to N should be, say 19Ω, then there is no way any fault in the filament could result in this resistance becoming lower, reducing to 0.3Ω.

But this (new, from ebay) element is not known to have ever worked - For all we know, L+N are directly connected inside the element and it's an absolute short with only ~ 1m flex worth of resistance, which is pretty negligible.

Sponsored Links
Quick update for all you helpful people. The eBay seller has popped a replacement heating element/flex assembly in the post to me.

I'm really hoping it'll pitch up tomorrow so I can get this done at the weekend. If not, it'll be Monday or so.

I'll let you all know what happens ;)

R.

Sponsored Links
Quick update for all you helpful people. The eBay seller has popped a replacement heating element/flex assembly in the post to me.

I'm really hoping it'll pitch up tomorrow so I can get this done at the weekend. If not, it'll be Monday or so.

I'll let you all know what happens ;)

R.

Test the new one with your new multimeter, before you fit it - the same measurements you made before. You want "1" (i.e. open circuit) between L+E and N+E, and around 125 ohms (ish) between L+N.

I would say you have incorrectly wired it.
I don't understand why anyone would attempt to replace the fuse knowing the first one was blown, without checking the cable terminations.

3A fuse in a kettle ? :D You don't check the connections !

Heh - I've only been using 13amp fuses - so not sure where the 3 came from.

Anyhow!

I'm giving up. Calling in the professionals next week. (if any of you guys are near north west London and fancy a job, PM me).

I got the replacement this morning. Connected everything up, and this time it actually works. Starts heating up, no blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers.

Problem is, there's a faint tingle when I touch the towel rail :cry:

The element is seated correctly and isn't bent or anything (I thought it might have been touching the inside of the rail somehow). The connections all appear to be fine, as well as the earth to the backbox.

So I'm calling it a day. The towel rail has got me beat me. I'll get an electrician to have a look.

Thanks all for your help with this.

Best regards,

R.

Heh - I've only been using 13amp fuses - so not sure where the 3 came from.

Anyhow!

I'm giving up. Calling in the professionals next week. (if any of you guys are near north west London and fancy a job, PM me).

I got the replacement this morning. Connected everything up, and this time it actually works. Starts heating up, no blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers.

Problem is, there's a faint tingle when I touch the towel rail :cry:

The element is seated correctly and isn't bent or anything (I thought it might have been touching the inside of the rail somehow). The connections all appear to be fine, as well as the earth to the backbox.

So I'm calling it a day. The towel rail has got me beat me. I'll get an electrician to have a look.

Thanks all for your help with this.

Best regards,

R.

Your not having much luck are you, did you test the new element before you fitted it?

Sound like you have a missing earth.

Your not having much luck are you

Story of my life, mate!

did you test the new element before you fitted it?

Sound like you have a missing earth.

Yeah that's what it sounded like to me. But I've given up on it now. I didn't check the element before I fitted it, and am no longer inclined to unfortunately :cry:

I've been well and truly beaten into submission by a heated towel rail, and have disconnected it until an electrician who knows what he's looking for can take a look for me :cool:

Cheers!

R.

I know you feel beaten into submission, but if you felt so inclined, you could test with your multimeter on continuity setting between a socket and the flex outlet in the bathroom to see if there's continuity.

It's a "dead" test, so you wouldn't have to wortry about re-energising a dangerous installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back