New Hob and Oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I purchased a new hob and oven, both electric, the oven comes with its own cable with a fitted 13amp plug, the hob comes with the normal electric cooker cable, after installation it says in the instructions to run the oven for an hour before use, I did this without any problems, my wife went to make lunch and after a while when we touch the hop or oven metal parts we get a tingling like shock, can anyone help please..thanks.

Sponsored Links
The reason you are advised to run the cooker is to burn the oil from the elements.
The tingleing sounds like an electrical problem 7 you should get it checked out. Who wired the hob?

I wired the hob myself, it was a case of disconnecting the wires from the old hob and putting them in the new hob as shown in the diagram that came with the hob, but we are getting the same tingling off the oven aswell, they both work ok and are both properly earthed.

possibly you have wired them wrong, or possibly you have an earth fault on the circuit or the wiring of your house. It seems unlikely that two brand-new appliances would both have been manufactured with an internal fault.

Sponsored Links
Is the socket that the oven is wired to a spur from the cooker supply?

Is the socket that the oven is wired to a spur from the cooker supply?

Yes that was it Diyisfun, as the oven was on a 13amp fuse it needed its own supply and not the same spur that the hop was running off, its now all sorted, thanks for all your help.. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back