new home, bad roof condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have myself a year old house, and the loft is very wet. The 'treated' rafters etc are quite moldy. As this is a shared ownership house, I reported this to the other owners, and to the contractors who built the house. The builders said, tough. and the local authority who co-own sent a local company round to inspect the loft, who said they need to re felt and stick 6 vent blocks in. This was 6 weeks ago and nothing. The wet has increased by at least 100 fold, and now we are wondering where to go next.
My issues are will the mold on the wood go, or will it need replacing?
Will the insulation, that is quote wet, need replacing?
We have a 2 week old baby in the house, and 2 asthmatics, will the problem cause health issues?

Any assisitance on this would be gratefully received. Thanking in advance.

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=160032

Do you hang wet washing about the house?

the local authority who co-own sent a local company round to inspect the loft, who said they need to re felt and stick 6 vent blocks in. .
And has ventilation been added?

You will probably find it cheaper to reduce the moisture load yourself, and improve ventilation. Look at the eaves and see if there is ventilation there. If you have Gable End Walls in the loft you can hire a tool to make neat ventilation holes as a DIY job.

The builders said, tough.
Do you mean you got a letter from them with just this one word in it, or did they say something else? If so, what?

If you hang wet washing about the house, or if you do not use extractor fans in the bathroom, or if you do not ventilate your bedrooms, then your house will always be wet and there is nothing anyone else can do about it.

The builders were rung up, and they were not interested at all, the actual answer given was we dont want to get involved.
No work has been done on the roof yet, I have rung them up and they say they can't give me a date when the work will begin, just that it will one day. Just seems a bit of a fob off.
Is it worth ringing environmental health and get them involved, or maybe NHBC? I do have pictures from nov and from today to show the increase in water/mold.

Please respond on the other points I raised.

Sponsored Links
sorry, re washing just 4 shirts thats all. Tumble dryer vents to outside.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

bed.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back