new house front door locks to change all

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

please bear with me as this may sound like a long post.

I have a wooden front door (i think its metal plate front and back) with 3 locks, at the top seems like a ERA night latch, in the middle is a yale night latch BLX-PB-40 and at the bottom is a mortislock (maybe 5 lever) with a door handle. Dont ask me why theres so many but i cant remove them due to leaving a hole so guess i'll need to replace them with something else.

Starting at the bottom, I want to replace the door handle with a chrome finish and change the mortislock (union lock). Can i use the Yale chrome handle (i think its says uPVC but works for wood) and I'll find out which model mortislock it is to change.

The middle yale lock I have ordered a new cylinder already which leaves the top lock and I dont know what to do with as I dont have a key for that.

Was thinking about a thumb turn lock but not sure which one and if it will cover the any holes?

Any advice guys?

Sponsored Links
PS: Currently I need to turn a key and pull the handle together in order to open the door, i prefer to have to turn a key and open the door (after unlock any mortislocks etc).

even when i am inside, i need to pull 2 levers to open the front door, its not the end of the world but a nuisance.

Change the locks as follows.

Top a mortise with euro cylinder key and thumb turn

Middle a good quality rim lock like the Yale PBS1 range or the newer one, not fitted one for ages.

Bottom a euro mortise key and key

All can be keyed alike.

That gives you one handle to turn during the day and maybe two in the morning going out, and just keys outside. Top bottom then middle.

The reason for the thumb turn on the top inside is in case of fire, you would only need to unlock the bottom.

Also you can get lockguards/scar plates to cover the odd miss alligned holes a good locksmith local could advise or give a quote.

Is that clear enough for you? As in how I described it?

Hi alarm,

I have a pbs2 in the middle so I guess that is good enough so far.

Do you have any links to the other 2? I'll be fitting it myself but I don't really know what they look like, as in can I get them all from Yale?

Also how do I get all 3 or even just the top and bottom keyed alike?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yale site.
Or Ingersoll-rand.

Locksmith local to you can do the passing.

PBS2 is fine but means you have a narrow stile or glass in the door, is this right?

yes, front door has glass.

I have an appointments with a locksmith tomorrow so he can advise and assist with the locks.

changing barrels is easy but hate to doing it from scratch.

thanks for you help Alarm

Change the door or have a grille fitted.

But with glass all those locks will be not a lot of help without the glass protected from the inside with a grille or a new door.

All the Doors in the area are like this, that's why I want to keep a mortis lock at the bottom so it's a pain for any thieves. Alarm will go off but anything to slow them down or be a detterant I suppose.

I'll look into the glass grills too tho!

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back