New junction box in the kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a new electric oven that must be connected to the mains using 16Amp power cable provided. The cable has wires on the one end connecting to a switch box and the oven connector on another end. The old oven was connected to the switch using the flex cable which I can't reuse due to lack of the oven connector. Unfortunately the new cable is too short even though the switch box is less than 2m away. I'm thinking to put 30Apms junction box in between the switch box and the oven. Do I need to notify the building control about such work? Looking at regulations paper, can it be classified as:
(c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing
installation components, where the circuit
protective measures are unaffected;
Thanks in advance for your help. [/quote]

Sponsored Links
What output rating is the appliance and what fuse/MCB size is the existing circuit on?
If all is well you will not need to notify building controls as you will be only connecting up the appliance to an existing installation.
instead of putting a JB it could well be safer to remove the existing cable/flex and put a longer one on the appliance, so it reaches the CCU

Thanks for reply. The new oven is 16A rated, the old one is connected to 30A MCB ( besides the oven there are also electric hob connected to the same unit ). The plan is to leave it as it is.

To find the longer power cord would be ideal but not really sure where to buy it - it needs C19 like looking connector with the side wings to click into socket on the back of the oven ( something like this but with no mains plug http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=3119321#header )

Sponsored Links
After more googling around it seems to be the C21 ( which makes sense as it heat-resistant ) but again it must have these side wings to click into the the oven socket. The C21 seems to be more common for Germany ( the oven is new Bosch sold in UK ) but not here ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back