New Kitchen Ring Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps

Need some help with a problem I have got? I have just finished wiring a new ring circuit into my new kitchen extension. Checked all of the sockets with a ring main tester and they all test out OK. The problem is when any load is applied to the circuit the consumer unit RCD is tripping out, not the circuit MCB.
The consumer unit is a MEM memera 2000, MCB is 32A, the RCD is 100A, 240V, 30mA and the ring contains 7 double sockets.
During the wiring I have earth the sockets to the back boxes. Is this causing the problem or have I missed something.

Regards

Sponsored Links
What were the ring continuity and insulation resistance test results like?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking a dead short on the N-E but that would have shown up in both instances as a problem. What is a ring main tester?

RF Lighting said:
I've never seen the DNO chappie with one of those

Really? It's the 'in' tester at the moment - the only downside is you need to carry a transformer with you up the pylon...

davy_owen_88 said:
You've put the neutrals into the wrong neutral bar.

Only if it's a split-load board.

Do you have an RCD incomer on your board and is your supply TN-C-S?

If so, I had a very similar problem to attend to:

The RCD incomer tripped whenever any load was applied. Turned out to be a faulty oven. When this was disconn'd, everything else worked as it should.

davy_owen_88 said:
Surely this ought to be called a socket tester. Since it will test any socket, and sockets aint nessecarily wired in a ring.

A ring main tester, IMO, is a tester that will do continuity tests of the ring. ;)

Many Thanks for the help, have just got it sorted. davy_owen_88 was right I had connect the neutrals to the wrong neutral bar. Just need to have it tested and certified by the local councils aurthorized inspector and I can get the whole new extension passed by BCO.
Again many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back