New laminate floor - under skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a laminate floor that I want to replace with a better one. At the moment it looks like it was laid and then the skirting put on to hide the expansion gaps.

I would like to get the new floor under the skirting without removing it as that would cause a lot more decorative work than I want to do at the moment. Is it possible to get the expansion under an already fitted skirting (maybe by cutting the last board just a little further than the skirting edge and then lifting a few boards up from the edge into a small hill, place the edge under the skirting and then push the floor back down) ? don't quite know what would be done in the corners mind. Don't really want to add the small edging strips unless I have to.

Sponsored Links
You won't be able to 'lift into a small hill', locking tongue and groove laminate doesn't work that way.

The normal method when laying the final row of laminate is to shave off the stepped section of the tongue thus allowing you to slide the pieces together without pivotting them. Not sure whether you would still get the required space though.

Is there a section of skirting you could carefully remove in a hidden area, thus minimising the damage?

Not really - Maybe I will have to do it properly then by removing the skirting and hoping I don't damage the decor too much.

not possible, well sort off! It can be done but not by the average fitter (99.9% of them ) And a absolute defo no by a diyer. I wouldn't even know where to start if was going to talk you through it. So the only way you will manage to do it is by removing skirting on two walls. Then it is possible by the average fitter. You need to remove one skirt on the length and one on the width.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back