New loft floor .. comments / suggestions please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, would REALLY appreciate some help on the following.

First off, basic floor plan of the loft:

d8319de2.jpg

Hard lines are the walls on the first floor underneath, joists on the first floor landing run left to right so does that mean the central wall running front to back is 'load bearing'? Total loft dimensions are 5.2m left to right, 7m front to back.

Next up, photo of one of the corners, bottom right corner on the floor plan, taken from near the hatch:

d9029133.jpg

You can see the 4x2 ceiling joists and another 4x2 going left to right (ceiling binder?) that appears to be nailed to the bottom of the roof rafter and then sits up against the chimney breast on the opposed side of the loft (semi detached house) but not actually tied into anything.

So here's my problem. I want to put down new deeper floor joists so I can use it for heavier storage and possibly a hobby room of some kind in the future.

Initially I thought of putting 8x2s front to back, supporting them on internal walls where possible. Problem is that the angle of the eaves would not allow me to rest the ends on anything substantial so could I just bolt them to the rafters as long as they were supported by the walls downstairs too?

Then I got thinking that I'd need to go left to right .. a) because the load bearing walls go down the centre of the house and b) because if I don't the ceiling binder will be in the way. Same problem however with regards to getting the joists to sit on the external walls and I'm guessing I'm not allowed to bolt a plate to the chimney wall and hang things off that.

So, I'm after ideas people, what you got? :)

Cheers!
Monty

Sponsored Links
have you considered supporting your loft room from underneath say countering your 4x2 ceiling ties with 6x2 or 7x2 joists then re-plasterboard it can save you some precious inches in the loft

have you considered supporting your loft room from underneath say countering your 4x2 ceiling ties with 6x2 or 7x2 joists then re-plasterboard it can save you some precious inches in the loft

Not sure I follow .. you mean putting joists below the 1st floor ceiling?

Cheers,
Monty

yes I am if you can spare the height in the rooms bellow you can fix timber to the top of the walls get some joist hangers and go the opposite the 4x2 ceiling ties to strenthen the floor above

Sponsored Links
yes I am if you can spare the height in the rooms bellow you can fix timber to the top of the walls get some joist hangers and go the opposite the 4x2 ceiling ties to strenthen the floor above

..and then hang a new ceiling from them presumably?

Not an option for us, too much upheaval, but an interesting option - thanks :)

Monty

After more thought the only option would be to run the joists back to front, with the end cut and wall plate raised they will rest OK and I'll bolt to the rafter too just to be sure.

...only real issues now surrounds the ceiling binder and how to get rid of it. Can I noggin the ceiling joists and remove them? Or will I have to bolt new joists to existing ceiling joists? Was hoping to keep them separate really.

Thanks!
Monty

After more thought the only option would be to run the joists back to front, with the end cut and wall plate raised they will rest OK and I'll bolt to the rafter too just to be sure.

...only real issues now surrounds the ceiling binder and how to get rid of it. Can I noggin the ceiling joists and remove them? Or will I have to bolt new joists to existing ceiling joists? Was hoping to keep them separate really.

Thanks!
Monty
dont worry about removing the binder as you will bind it all together with the new floor

Thanks!
Monty
dont worry about removing the binder as you will bind it all together with the new floor

Even if I'm not planning on connecting the ceiling joists to the new floor joists? The plan was to keep them apart so no new loads were places on the ceiling joists at all.

Cheers,
Monty

Noggins should take the sag out of the ceiling joists so yes go that route..

Bear your new joists back to load bearing walls, follow the direction of the existing joists.. no, avoid the chimney as it will be damp and trim arround it similar to the loft hatch..

oh and dont try to support the ceiling joists by putting joists below it, thats a a whole new can of worms..

Noggins should take the sag out of the ceiling joists so yes go that route..

..do you mean do this to replace the binders?

Thinking about it I won't be able to noggin ceiling joists as my new floor joists will be in the way - nuts! Looks like I have no choice but to bolt my ceiling joists to new floor joists then noggin the floor ones together as originally planned.

It should be super stiff so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Cheers,
Monty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back