New loft hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I have a weird loft hatch in the bathroom in my flat. I'm about to start the bathroom renovation , next week, and I'd like to close that access and open a new loft access in the hallway. Do I need any kind or permission or certificate?
I asked in the council, but they didn't answered so far...

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Who owns the flat and who owns the loft?

If you own the freehold to both then no permission necessary, if somebody else owns either then you will need permission.

I own both, but since I'll probably will need to cut some joists to do the opening, I thought that maybe I would need permission or something. Is not the case, then?

I think you do need a building warrant for that.
The list of things you're allowed to do in a flat without a warrant is not long.
In practice, a lot of people would not bother applying as it is time-consuming and costs money.
See:
http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0043/00435249.pdf
Starting with item 6 on page 23 (or page 26, depending on where you look for the page numbers).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back