new planting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have an empty border which all i do is weed. Is now a good time to plant and if so what can you suggest for a bit of ground cover that will look after itself every year. Border is about 10 foot by about 2 foot and height max would be about 3 foot. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Bermuda, I made some suggestions for a small shrub border to bufferz (see what tree etc). Bare soil will always be colonised by weeds so you need to fill it up with plants. This sounds quite a narrow border, is it up against a wall or fence? Evergreens are useful as they block out light all year - weeds don't like the dark. You can also use ground cover plants between shrubs such as Ajuga reptans - nice redish leaves and blue flowers in summer. Vinca minor - also blue flowers in spring. Epimediums are good too. All these are small plants but can be divided each year to make more. Go to a good garden centre and ask them for a few suggestions; then you will be able to see the plants and pick out what takes your fancy.

weed menbrane, tonne of gravel artificial plants , sorted

and if you really have the time / patientce you can use different colour of gravel to spell out something i.e bermuda, takes a while but loks good

breezer said:
and if you really have the time / patientce you can use different colour of gravel to spell out something i.e bermuda,............

You can use ordinary gravel and a tin of spray paint. :D

Sponsored Links
colour will come off with paint, and spray go where its not wanted. I have seen oit done in coloured stones it really is differnt

nearly as bad as the heathers they were selling in homebase this summer that were sprayed with vegetable dye. God did they look horrible!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back