new plaster comes away ...

T

teddyb

Hi
Our house has lime plaster inside (we're told) and have recently had some walls skimmed for new decoration. While removing some nibs, a large 'flake' of newly skimmed plaster has come away. We are going to contact the builder, but can anyone suggest why this could have hapened? Always grateful for you comments ...

Sponsored Links
Maybe they skimmed over painted or smooth walls without "keying" the new skim to the wall...If skimming over existing walls (be it old paint or old plastered walls) the walls must be sealed and sometimes "keyed" to allow the new skim-coat/s to adhere to the existing surface. There are a few ways of doing this which involves different types of "bonding agents". I usually apply PVA to the surface that is going to be skimmed then leave it over night then before I skim it I roller on another coat of pva and skim when it "picks up". Sometimes on shiny painted walls I will mix some sand in with the pva on the first coat to get a "key" or even scratch the wall with a stanley. Never had a problem after using these methods. Like I said there are other "bonding agents" but I have always used pva, and also sbr for different circumstances.....

Just to add to what roy c said, if one area of plaster skim has blown, then chances are there will be other areas ready to go the same way. Rub over the wall with the back of your hand, letting just your fingernails touch the wall and you will hear any loose or hollow areas. Find out the extent of the problem before you get the builder back.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. Is there any difference to skimming over lime plaster and any other sort?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back