new plug sockets in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guy's! doing a bit of kitchen reshuffling and just want some advise.

going to be fitting some extra units along a wall (nothing there just now, just a kitchen table!) and so want some sockets above to new worktop. thing is theres no sockets on that wall now and its a concrete floor so i cant get wires across from the other side of the kitchen. there is a socket in the hall on the other side of the wall so can i drill a hole through and take a wire from there in to the kitchen up to the first new socket then on the next etc? is it ok to cover mains wires in plaster or do they need to be protected somehow?

thanks in advance! :)

Sponsored Links
Assuming the socket in the hallway is part of the ring final circuit and not a spur itself, you can spur from it in 2.5T+E to ONE double socket outlet in the kitchen. If you want any more than that, you'll have to spur to the supply side of a 13A fused connection unit, and then run as many sockets as you like from the load terminals on said connection unit.

In the unlikely event the hallway circuit is a radial, you can take as many sockets from it as you like in the same size conductor without worry (within reason, of course!).

You should also check the WIKI for safe zones, and realise that all electrical work in the kitchen is notifiable to your LABC.

Oh yes, and you can plaster straight over the cable, although it's preferred to use capping where possible to prevent damage from the plasterer's trowel. You could also use oval conduit, and that would be my preferred solution.

If the socket in the hall is directly part of the ring circuit you can extend the ring.
ie
Take a cable from the hall socket to a new socket, then to the next, then the next etc etc; then a cable from the last new socket back to the hall socket.

So each new socket will have two cables.
At the hall socket join an old cable to a new cable with crimps or connector blocks.
And join the remaining old cable to the remaining new cable to the socket itself.

You must confirm if the hall socket is part of the ring first.

You don't have to 'use protection'.

But I strongly recommend you use oval conduit or capping to sleeve the cables. It will protect the cable when the plastering is done. And makes future alterations easier as new cables can often be pulled through.
It's not expensive, so it's worthwhile doing.

How did this term "plug socket" ever arrive?

It really gets my goat.

A socket is the thing on the wall that has the holes in it.

A plug is the thing on the end of the lead from the appliance (like a kettle, for instance). The plug has pointy sticky out things that go into the holes in the socket.

So, on your wall in your kitchen, I guess you want sockets :?:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back