New roof, a few questions.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently had a new roof fitted to our property. Last night was the first night we have had high winds and the new roof seems very drafty compared to the old one, so much so that you can see the membrane rippling with the wind when you go up in the attic.

Our old roof (original roof, fitted early 80's) had a thick felt which obviously wouldn't ripple like the thin modern breathable membrane fitted now but I can feel the draft through the attic hatch which never happened before?

You can also really hear the wind now, a lot more than before, and we could also hear a lot of creaking noise (I'm presuming it's just settling in?)?

Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
What type of roof covering have you had installed and which type of covering was removed ?

The old roof was awful, it was an asbestos type tile which was very thin, and the felt was very thick all which were typical early 80's I'm presuming.

The new roof is "Marley" tile, much thicker, and we also have plastic end caps fitted to either side of the house. It is a typical house, no gulleys or anything, just two sides.

Thanks

Did they reinforce the rafters? Your new tiles are much heavier than the old.

Sponsored Links
The roof was inspected and we were told the rafters were fine.

The attic is supposed to be draughty!

You should draughtproof your attic hatch and up the insulation if required.

I am aware there is meant to be air movement up there, but how much I'm not sure hence me asking on here.

If they have installed an eave/ridge vent system as well as the breathable membrane this will all add to the increased airflow.

Dry verge systems as the type you now have installed are open to air movement as opposed to the wet bedded verge you would have had with the asbestos composite slate.

Also the tile type you now have are by their very design and installation are more susceptible to the movement of air.

And assuming everything has been fitted to specification is exactly what you would expect...

If they have installed an eave/ridge vent system as well as the breathable membrane this will all add to the increased airflow.

Dry verge systems as the type you now have installed are open to air movement as opposed to the wet bedded verge you would have had with the asbestos composite slate.

Also the tile type you now have are by their very design and installation are more susceptible to the movement of air.

And assuming everything has been fitted to specification is exactly what you would expect...

Thanks Alastair. So this is "normal"? That's good to hear!

Now, my next question, how do I go about insulating the attic hatch!

Mine (I think) is a custom size and made up of wood, measuring 110cm x 51cm (open hatch measurements).

Some draughtproofing strip from b+q and a piece of loft insulation fitted to the hatch with polythene and staples.

The roof was inspected and we were told the rafters were fine.

Measure your rafters (and purlins etc) and the spacing (centre to centre) and then contact Marley and see if they agree.

I have to say that Joe has a point and a house that was built with the original roof in the 1980's for the lightest? tile on the market is now adequate for the heaviest tile on the market? that sounds a little odd.

I have to say that Joe has a point and a house that was built with the original roof in the 1980's for the lightest? tile on the market is now adequate for the heaviest tile on the market? that sounds a little odd.

I'm not a roofer, I had 3 companies round for quotes, all said the original timber was fine?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back