new roof this year any help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a bit of advice, I have been out of the game for 25years or so but I would like to strip and recover my house its a mid terrace stone cottage (300 year oldish) its in Lincs so as most roofs around here it as clay pantiles which are back pointed.
Next door as had theirs re-roofed last year, but I dont get on with the landlord so dont want to ask them for the roofers details so I can get the spec's of the materials used i.e. the felt was green with writing on it, I dont know if it was 1 or 1.5 meter in width, the tiles are Sandtoft clay pantiles, (does anyone have any tips on laying them as when i was a roofer in Leeds not many houses had pantiles ).
One side of my roof is gable to gable so therefore I will be using 6" asbestos or a newer type of material I guess for the gables, with the allowable over hangs which will depend on my marking out, it use to be 1" min or 3" max gable over hang, as this changed or are these still the norm? The other side of the roof is new Sandtoft clay pans to I think they were called Ludlow magors or redland renowns, anyway back in the day a fibre glass secret type gutter had just come out to stop rough arses running a ridge up the join, does anyone know the name of this or again is there an alternative. Also do you bed the dental slips or just sit them down.
Also I am going to do redo the lead work completly, does anyone know if you can buy abutments for pantiles or do thy use soakers or do you just have a extra long stepped flashing and dress accordingly. I have 2 chimneys to flash as they have concrete flashings and green mineral aprons at the moment...........bless! :eek:
And finally, when im felting it should I put any vents any where?
Any advice would be appreciated sorry for all the questions but I want it
right!

Sponsored Links
profiled concrete interlocking tiles require no soakers. i only soaker flat conc's, i.e. marley modern or wessex with the riser removed.

3" seems a lot of overhang for the cement board (asbestos) cloak. we max it at 2", in case of careless ladder pitching.

we never use anything else these days other than breathable membrane, even if we are cross ventilating. this is sold in 1.5m wide rolls and is 50m long. it is a tough fabric and is difficult to put a blunt instrument through. ;)

You can still get the fibreglass secret valley. You will get a shock at the price of lead now :LOL: . As Noseall says 50mm overhang on verge. It aint Asbestos now but a fibre cement board which IMO is not quite as tough. Don`t know about Yorkshire but up here in West of Scotland verge clips are impossible to get..........I make my own from heavy gauge stainless wire bent up in a jig.

Any small slips or cuts can be drilled on the whole tile then cut off the tile with stihlsaw. If you still can`t find a fixing to nail into then epoxy them together . You sound as though you know what you are doing anyway and not much has changed...........it`s still as hard as ever :LOL:

Alex

You can still get the fibreglass secret valley. You will get a shock at the price of lead now :LOL: .
Alex

my bro' works for a lead merchant. the price of lead increases weekly. :eek:

some merchants will honour a price for an entire.........month. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I have not brought any lead for a while, but on a recent job, I sent the owner out to buy a 6m roll of code 5, and he came back with it and told me it cost him just over £100.

I told him the merchant was ripping him off and sent him back to get it "at the correct price". Apparently they had a massive argument in the shop based on me telling him it should be about £50. :oops: lol

Here there has been a recent reduction in lead price.. so it goes down as well as up. (still expensive though)
Klober do a range of GRP valley trough, Secret gutters. search their site
Ludlow Major and Redland Reknowns are Concrete interlocking tiles not sandtoft clay.
Manufacturers recommended 40 -65 mm overhang
We always bed dental slips or you end up with liitle connection between tile top and ridge edge. ( am sure this has not changed in 25 years..)
The green underlay (felt) used next door could have been one of a couple of breather felts.. roofshield maybe.
There are plently of other colours!!! most doing the same job (minimising condensation)
Lead cover flashing is the norm.

thanks for all the info, as you all say I dont think its changed that much, just slightly different materials. I know what you mean about lead prices its the same as wood and all other consumables nowadays, I reckon the far east is taking everything!
Just to clarify on the type of tiles, one neighbour is clay Sandtoft pans and the other neighbour is ludlows, I am using clay pans to keep it original and to follow on from the newer pans next door , the secret valley/trough is to do a neat join and I am aware they are concretes on next door :)
Just a quick one what are the lead types I need:-
1. Apron front and back of chimney = CODE ?
2. Flashings = CODE ?
As when I were a lad it was 3lb, 4lb lead etc, so not up to speed on codes?
Once again thanks a lot.

Lead 3 lb = code 3, 4 lb= code 4 etc easy!
As your coming off of next doors roof it's going to be easy, gauge etc is sorted for you. It'll be easier to work from whats there both left and right handed.. (from the left can be fun)

flashing code 4 is fine, Back gutter if you can run to it code 5 but it really depends on chimney size, but you wont go far wrong with the above.

http://www.klober.co.uk/product3.php?id=80

Cheers fella, yep thats easy enough. I know what you mean tiling left to right, what im hoping is when I take off 2/3 tiles from next door which is on the left, bugger! im hoping the setting out marks are still there so i will mark my roof out accordingly.
Have you heard when tiling with clay pans sometimes you have to knock a little of the tile off so they fit, I looked at Sandtofts web site and they say take random tiles from random pallets, im assuming this makes for a better fixing/laying in the long run????
Cant believe how much roofing as changed, i tell some of lads in the pub what we use to get up to, I dont think they believe me :D cant carry full bundles of lathes onto the roof/ 2 rolls of felt on your shoulder/ no mixing 30:10 mixes on the road/ no tupping of tiles(I remember doing a school in Bradford it was a stonewold- delta combination bloody elevator died so off we went what a night mare).......................Those were the days 30 years man and boy hardest game in the world.
I guess all the rules are down to HSE. Suppose its not a bad thing!

Yes Yorkshire .........remember the Stonewold/Delta.We called it Plain and Purl :LOL: Delta had to be bang on or you could throw the ridges in the bin :LOL: . You probably remember when you were toiling on roof and two lorrys would come on site with 4 thousand Stonewold. You had to come off roof and unload the tiles by hand with driver. You did not feel like going back on that roof again after that :LOL:.....thank God for Hi-Ab and pallets!! I do remember jobs with English Tudor type pantile.....big ones Interlocking at top and sides.They all had to be dressed to fit and yet other types were no problem.

It may have changed now with better tolerances ? Aint done them for Yonks

Alex

doing strip and retile jobs no scaffold...
:LOL: Yep every weekend we had a barrow job no scaffold = more profit :rolleyes:
did anyone have one of those elevators they were about 9" square 25 ft long with a giant chain and small scoops that just about carried 6 tiles and weighed about 200lb one held it at the bottom ready to put it in the engine and the other carried it up the ladder on his shoulder :D must have been crackers, but when they did work they saved some hard graft except the poor bugger running and loading the roof.
surley in its it day roofing must have been the most physically demanding, I use to have a full breakfast, fish and chips x2, large pop, a huge dinner when I got home and then some beers, I was in my best condition ever, didnt carry any excessive weight:D :D :D
Sorry for reminissing. All you young ones dont copy its not big and its not clever :LOL:

SCARY.. It was the norm here 34 years ago, Loading... never had an elevator allways bumped up on the shoulder.. start early and bugger off when done.. used to spend £1.00 a week on lunch..

Yes guys .The heavy jumper wrapped around the shoulder to ease the aches.You did best in the morning cos by midday you were goosed. Before that the slates were carried on the head on a board :LOL:

Some of the early tile loading machines were temperamental and somewhat primitive.I remember the one with the engine in the bogey itself. If it stuck on the way up it started to shake itself and it`s ladders to bits. Everyone ran for cover as disaster ensued and the tiles came crashing down :eek:As Yorkshire says ..........the guy taking tiles off at the top and stacking them inside the lines was the "Animal "of the squad. I`m going back to read my Fred Dibnah book now :eek:

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back