New shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My new team 201 thermostatic power shower broke down so I thought I would buy another. I was told we could easily fit an eletric one in it's place. I got a plumber round and he said I would need to check the wiring as the cable from the fuse switch into the shower would not do. I also checked the main cables in the loft to the fuse box. This looks like only 2.5mm twin and earth but there is 2 cables and then only a small white cable from the fuse box to the shower. I was told I would need 6mm or 10mm from the mains to the shower. Does this mean I would need to replace all the cable with 6mm or 10mm? Does a thermostatic power shower not need the same cable as an electric one?

Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
The shower you had was just a pump to increase the pressure.
It uses a few hundred watts at most and requires a hot and cold water supply which were mixed in the shower.

An electric shower uses a cold water supply only and heats the water. They typically use 10000watts.
You need to install a complete new circuit from the consumer unit to the shower, probably using 10mm cable.
You will most likely have to install new piping, as electric showers require mains pressure water and mixers/power showers generally work from low pressure stored water.

Or just get another power shower.

The shower you had was just a pump to increase the pressure.
It uses a few hundred watts at most and requires a hot and cold water supply which were mixed in the shower.

An electric shower uses a cold water supply only and heats the water. They typically use 10000watts.
You need to install a complete new circuit from the consumer unit to the shower, probably using 10mm cable.
You will most likely have to install new piping, as electric showers require mains pressure water and mixers/power showers generally work from low pressure stored water.

Or just get another power shower.

Thanks very much for that, looks like I need to take the electric shower back and get another power shower instead. I take it all power showers are similar and will work on the cable I have in place?

thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back