New Siphon (or alternative) for close-coupled 3 bolt fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a pretty old toilet cistern with a ceramic siphon which is secured with 3 brass screws around a round flange on the base. I have been patching this up for some time and it is (probably) finally time to replace it properly. I dont want to change the entire cistern. Are there any modern siphons (or low water usage dual flush things) that I can bolt direct to the 3 point fixing without messing about too much?

George

Sponsored Links
The siphon is marked as a Twyfords if that helps at all...

Is it likely that I could get a "normal" clamp-through type and make a flange to clamp on the outside and bolt this through?

Why do you have to keep patching it up?.

Can you post pic's?.

Have you removed cistern from pan, is there one large nut bolting the syphon unit through the cistern?.

Sponsored Links
The rod which pulls the diaphragm up snapped. This happened while I was away and a friend patched it up by using a mild steel bolt as a make-shift rod. Because this is corroding it doesnt run very smoothly and so tends to "stick" in the up position.

I havent removed the cictern from the pan, as far as I can make out the two are fixed together with a threaded length of pipe which has a three hole flange at its top end (and the siphon bolts onto this flange).

Stupidly I didnt look that closely at this the last time I took it apart, but from memory it looked like a ceramic part with a nut pulling the pan and cistern together...

Last "patch up" I made a new diaphragm out of rubber sheet and it is currently working reasonably well. I could probably turn up a brass or stainless or aluminium rod to replace the mild steel bolt and a nylon bush for the sliding point, but IF a 3 fixing siphon was availabel this would have been easier...

Seems likely they dont exist though...

I will get photos next time I NEED to take it apart to "fix"...

Thanks for the responses so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back