new sockets on previous circuit used for storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I just had a new gas central heating system installed and will get rid of my old storage heaters. As I am short of sockets in my flat I wondered whether I can use the seperate circuit (radial?) to which all the storage heaters were connected and put in normal sockets instead of the old connection to the storage heaters. All storage heaters are on one seperate circuit, which end in circuit breaker in the CU, which then connects to the economy7 meter.

Sponsored Links
you can, but you will find they go off during the day, since storage heaters run on a timer at the meter.

If you cancel your dual-tariff electricity contract you will save a bit in charges. You do not sound experienced in electrical work, so ask around friends and neighbours for a recommended local electrician. Ask if he is a member of a self-certification scheme, and which one. If he is, get a quote to transfer the Economy 7 circuits onto the untimed supply. It need not be very expensive unless your existing circuits are old and in poor condition.

If you do a lot of washing and tumble-drying there is a chance that you could do it at night on cheap electricity. You will have to get prices from your bill to see if it is worthwhile since there is a higher standing charge for dual-rate.

If you can put up some pics of the area around your meter and consumer uniys someone will recognise the setup and may have more suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back