New switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for asking for confirmation of something so basic but:

I am about to replace the light switch in my conservatory. On checking the old switch I find that the connections are not what I would have expected for just a light.

The old switch has L & N connection at the top marked out and L & N connection at the bottom marked in - I believe that this is classed as a double pole switch?

Ideally I want to replace this with a stainless steel switch - can only find them as 1 gang 2 way rated at 10 amp. The total lighting load will not exceed 300watt.

I believe that this type of switch can be used by connecting:
1. Connect both neutrals together via a strip connector
2. Connect 1 red to Common (live feed in)
3. Connect other red to L1.

Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
Lighting load is fine for the switch.

Your explanation of connections sounds fine. Is there earth wires?
You need to ensure that these are connected together and that the light, metal switch and backbox(if metal) is earthed.

RMS, thanks for the reply and confirmation.

There are earth wires and I will make sure that they are connected properly - unlike other switches (metal) I have discovered where there is an earth wire but not connected to anything other than a connector block :rolleyes:

I know the proper way to earth is to backbox and actual switch - in the case as above is it right to assume that the electrician believed that earthing would be ok via the the screws through the front of the switch to the backbox - or was it more likely to be poor workmanship?

Are we sure this isnt a fused switched spur fusing a 30/32amp cct down to 3/5amp?

Replace the switch with exactly the same type. Is there a fuse carrier beside the existing switch?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps I should have supplied a little more detail.

There are three areas for power, three double sockets, underfloor heating and lighting. I believe that the feed has been taken for all areas from the downstairs socket circuit controlled by an RCD

The lighting has a fused switched spur at ground level (normal socket height) and the switch in question mounted at normal height on the rear wall. The fused spur I was told was needed as an isolator for the lighting circuit (just noticed that this fitted with 13amp fuse - think I should change it for 3amp?).

The underfloor heating also has a fused switched spur with connection to the heating pads and the thermostatic control.

The sockets all operate normally regardless of the position of both fused spur switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back