New Telephone Extension to Existing Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm starting a new build house which is a knock down and rebuild. The current telephone supply comes from a BT junction box on the lane outside. A grey armoured cable runs from this to the existing house where the master socket is connected. I have the line disconnected and everything detached from the current cottage. I want to run another telephone cable from this main supply to a log cabin in the garden and also to the garage which is some way away. I have laid ducting but am unsure what type of telephone cable I need and what the best way to connect to the main supply is.

Can anyone recommend the correct type of telephone cable to pull through the ducting for supply to the log cabin and garage? Obviously the main supply will be connected back into the new house when finished but I want a phone connection to the cabin now.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
5 pair underground cable would be best but I dont know where you would buy it from.

You can use that cable two runs would be better if one goes down.

Sponsored Links
Yeah thats the stuff , i would just run one down , it is very robust when it is in ducting .

it probably is robust, but of no use if there is only one and it gets damaged, which is why i said run 2, one for each

But its 5pr cable , which is enough for five phone lines , On new housing estates we have gone from using five pair down to two pair . so a five pair is more than plenty unless you just like wasting money on cable that wont get used. :LOL:

yes but if some joker cuts it.

as its in ducting i would have said 2 pair

May as well put three or four or five cables in just in case . or we could even go bigger and put 10pr or 20 pr or 50pr in just in case . Get a grip :evil:

May as well put three or four or five cables in just in case . or we could even go bigger and put 10pr or 20 pr or 50pr in just in case . Get a grip :evil:

yes why dont YOU "get a grip" you are the one being silly not me.

The op will have 2 phone points, hence my suggestion of 2 phone cables

Also using a 5 pair will mean either another junction box or 20 wires into a phone socket

my suggestion with 2 x 2 pair is easier

But its up to the OP which to do.

O.K. guys calm down! I appreciate the replies but there's no need to argue!!

Anyway I now know what cable to use - whether I go for one or two cables :LOL:

However as I'm leaving a pull rope in each duct I bury, I think one cable is sufficient as I can pull another through if anything happens. This is recommended for all ducting - always leave a spare pull rope just in case.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back