New waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to connect a 40mm waste pipe for a washing machine into an existing 65mm cast iron drain pipe. The new waste pipe will come out the wall on the ground floor to the left of the existing drain pipe:

Picture041.jpg

The existing drain pipe goes into a concrete base:

Picture038.jpg

What is the easiest way to do this?

1- Cut the cast iron pipe & connect to it?
2- Replace the cast iron pipe with plastic?
3- Dig through the concrete?
4- Put the waste pipe through the inspection chamber??
5- Else?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
As far as I was aware there was no way of doing anything with cast iron other then replace it. However I ain't no plumber so someone may disagree.

Other than that I agree with Keyplayer.

Terry

Thanks for your replies, when you say run it into the drain next to the pipe, do you mean into the inspection hole or cut a new hole in the concrete?

If going through the inspection hole, I would have to seal the pipe with cement to prevent smells etc... That means I loose the inspection chamber which could be a problem in case of blocage.

Alternatively I will look into replacing the cast iron pipe with plastic.

Sponsored Links
Forget concreting! If it's only a washing machine waste outlet you will not have an odour problem. It's standard practice to drain a w/m, sink, bath etc into the top of a drain like yours. The biggest problem is leaf blockage which would cause overflow but is easy to prevent. Route your 40mm pipe as close as you can to the grate whilst still being able to remove grate and you shouldn't have any problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back