New window blinds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie on here and would really appreciate any advice. I'm told that I am about to start fitting blinds on some of our windows by SWMBO.
I first need to get a roller blind down. It is fitted into a window recess and hard against both sides. I've read that there could be a pin on the non operating end but it's so tight against the wall that I can't get at it (if it is there)
Reading about new blinds, I see that blinds to be fitted on the wall face are called "exact fit" . Surely the ones to be fitted into the window recess should be "exact fit" as they have to be the exact with and length??? (confused).
However.....it looks like I will be ordered to fit either roller blinds or wooden slat venetians. Two in the bathroom will be fitted onto tiles. Any special advice for drilling tiles?
Can roller blinds be fitted to roll off the back of the roller to get closer to the wall and close off more light? The current ones roll off the front and leave a 40-50mm gap all round between wall and blind? Any advice would be A Godsend.

Sponsored Links
I suggest you post a picture of the ends so someone can advise.
Most blinds do fall down the back close to the window but it may have been reversed to clear a window handle.
Lots of ways blinds fit in, some just push to one side others have clips or simply take out the screws if you can get access.

I am off to do my "Daaaad can you come and fix this" for my daughter this weekend so will not be back on till Monday, but I'm sure someone will see the pics and put you right. ;)

Managed to get the roller off. It loos like it was fitted the wrong way round.
The blind rolls off the front to avoid the handle as you say, but rather than re-sticking the blind to the roller, they have turned the whole thing end for end so that the lift up section for removing the roller is tight against the window frame. I took the screws out as suggested!.
The operating end has a cut-out for the pull cords to be operated from the front at an angle which would make sense, but as it is back to front, the cut out is at the back, and the cord fouls on the plastic cover/shroud making it horribly difficult to operate the blinds. I'm told that I will be fitting a Venetian to the bedroom window, and it will not be in the recess. The two bathroom windows will be rollers ,again, not in the recesses but on the surface. Not really looking forward to drilling through tiles to be honest, but I have my orders!

Sponsored Links
Standard masonry drill bit will drill tiles, just don't use hammer setting.

Cheers guys. I have some masonry drills lying around somewhere but I might invest in that set from Screwfix just to get started. It might be a wee while as SWIMBO has already changed her mind 3 times today so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back