New windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a choice full lead or just lead at the tops of new dble glazin installation. I was thinking of the square type lead, not the diamond type. Originally the house just had it atthe top, but a house further up has it all over. What are your views... nicer or be like looking out through a prison window. My neighbour about 20 doors away had full lead like his neighbour but then just had tops as he felt that most house just had it on tops and wnated to keep in with the road. Any views welcome.... I know its personal taste but just interested to see what you guys think.

Sponsored Links
I have a choice full lead or just lead at the tops of new dble glazin installation. I was thinking of the square type lead, not the diamond type. Originally the house just had it atthe top, but a house further up has it all over. What are your views... nicer or be like looking out through a prison window. My neighbour about 20 doors away had full lead like his neighbour but then just had tops as he felt that most house just had it on tops and wnated to keep in with the road. Any views welcome.... I know its personal taste but just interested to see what you guys think.

lead tape. not nice.
i bet it's surrounded by white plastic as well?

Is real lead I believe and the frame is white UPVC, doesnt look bad though.

if your in an 18th century cottage or house then if in keeping yes

i live in a 1907 mid terrace and decided the top light would look nice up stairs and down as the origional sliding sashes had been swopped for more modern openers
i am happy with just the top sections but would go for what fits in with the carricter off the building or the area
your leaded lights are lead strips glued on within the glazing units
they look fairly cheap and nasty and are smooth on the outside

you can buy enough leaded strip to do 3 or 4 windows for around £10 which you could add on yourself and more importantly if you dont like the finnish it can be removed

Sponsored Links
the "best" lead tape is applied to outside and inside of the outside pane.
but why? what type of "character" does it add to the house? do you think it will make it look original or historic? it is obvious to anyone's eye that it is stuck on. and yes it is real lead.

original lead lights were for the purpose of using small pieces of glass as the process for making bigger sheets wasn't well developed. these small pieces would have been quite irregular in thickness as well giving a distinctive "period" look.

if you wanted original features why not get some original or restoration stained glass? it could have been encapsulated or mounted inside the frames. and why not use wooden frames, not chunky, shiny plastic?

but in answer to your original question yes, full lead would be like living in a prison.

Cheers guys, I thought about the wooden option route. But only drawbacks are a)cost b) maintenance in few years time and c) no one in road seems to be going for wood, all dble glazed UVPC. Surely theres a reason for this?
If it was a victorian house it would be wooden frames without a doubt. Its about 1925/30s hse so just bays.
Still not certain though. I think lead at top would be good, that was how the house was built.

Cheers guys, I thought about the wooden option route. But only drawbacks are a)cost b) maintenance in few years time and c) no one in road seems to be going for wood, all dble glazed UVPC. Surely theres a reason for this?
If it was a victorian house it would be wooden frames without a doubt. Its about 1925/30s hse so just bays.
Still not certain though. I think lead at top would be good, that was how the house was built.

what they stuck lead tape onto a sealed unit surrounded by plastic? the builders were ahead of their time then.
i think it's probably to late to get precious about preserving the original features.

maintenance is debatable, as is lifetime of upvc windows. a good paint/stain job could last 10 years. i regularly see upvc windows replaced after 10 years due to degradation.
cost, well you get what you pay for, with upvc as well i suppose. but the big companies do market the hardwood option at a ridiculous cost. i suppose it helps make their plastic look cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back