New wooden raised bed - advice sought re preservation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, but this is yet another "which preservative should I use" question. I have searched the forums, but most questions of this kind seem to focus on maintaining the colour/aesthetic qualities of decking etc., or at least balancing that consideration with out and out preservation by using combination of oils/preserver.

My raised bed is quite large (about 7m x 1m x 0.5m) and is made from a pressure treated, polythene lined carcass with cladding made of standard decking timber (not sure what kind of factory treatment it underwent, but it does have a slight greenish tinge so I guess it has something).

Right after the bed was constructed we had what seemed like a whole month of rain and xmas etc. got in the way of me even trying to organise getting it treated, so it has already had a thorough soaking.

The weather's been dry and windy for over a week now though so I'm hoping to get it done this weekend. I suppose then that my questions are as follows:

1) Should I wait until a proper warm springtime dry spell before I do this, or am I better to get the preservative on there as soon as possible? It seems dry but I don't really have a clue when it comes to exterior wood.

2) What should I use? I'm not hugely concerned about appearance. I don't mind the "grey wood" look and just want it to last as long as possible. Shops-wise, I'm pretty much restricted to the sheds, although we do have a Johnstones/Leyland locally that I can get to. I have an HVLP spray gun, but would prefer brushing unless I'm likely to get better results with the sprayer.

Thanks for reading - any help you can give is very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
That looks the business cheers. Popped into Wickes on the way home (before I saw your reply) and all they had was water-based "one coat" stuff (and creosote substitute) that I could tell wasn't going to do what I wanted (or, in the case of the creosote stuff, stink to high heaven).

If I decide to stain the wood (not sure I want to, but the missus might veto that) should I do it before or after treating?

Pressure treated timber needs no more preservative and the green tinge would indicate that the decking boards are OK. If you must treat it Cuprinol is best and available in several colours.

Sponsored Links
It's just the frame/carcass that's pressure treated as far as I know. The landscaper who built the bed recommended that I treat the exterior.

decking will be treated but its definately worth an extra coat of preservative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back