newbie- advise needed please!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

I've just signed up and been browsing through the forums for a while- seems to be a really good site with some exellent knowledge and experience, which is is what i need.

i'm currently refurbishing my house.

It's been totally re-wired, new door frames throughout as i'm a chippie by trade and 25% of the required amount has been skimmed over existing plaster (removed loose plaster and filled with browning plaster first)

What I am looking for is a comprehensive list of procedures to correctly decorate the walls- I've searched but am a little confused with this watering down and why it is done-i'm not saying I don't think it needs to be done I'm just not fully understanding it.

Could anyone help as i'm only 21,i have 5 years experience carpentry, joinery and the construction industry but very little experience in paint types, processes and procedures.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Kind Regards

Adam

Sponsored Links
welcome adam .

Its a bit late for me so i''l just start the ball rolling with the basic emulsion on bare plaster bit.

If I'm painting a bare plaster/ drylined wall I thin Dulux trade vinyl Matt with about 20/% water. This is the universal base/primer for bare plaster. The reason why it is thinned is to let the solids in the emulsion soak into and bond into the plaster. This is called the mist coat. If you put it on neat it will just lay ontop of the plaster and probably craze/ chip easy/looks gobby and deep brush marks and if paper is hung one day, then stripped most of emulsion will come off with paper leaving a scarred wall which will have to be lined.
For the second coat> I use a more round coat, but still not strait from the tin. Thin about 1 ltr to 5ltr this helps application and flow giving a smooth brushmark, roller free wall.

Im sure zampa and all will be along. I just got in with the easy one :LOL: :LOL:

good luck .

Thank you

Sorry mate.

Round coat?

Can i use a roller or is it better to brush??

Sorry to be a pain people.

Bedtime I think

Adam

AdamBee said:
Thank you

Sorry mate.

Round coat?

Can i use a roller or is it better to brush??

Sorry to be a pain people.

Bedtime I think

Adam

By 'round coat' C/C means a fuller, thicker coat..not pis. :rolleyes: ..er thinned out so much

You can use either to apply the paint...but a roller will flick the paint around more if its been thinned out.

I personally prefer a brushed finish..its flatter.

Give the wals a light scrape over before you apply the first coat..and rub down between each coat with 100 grade abrasive paper...

Im going to bed...who's turn next? ;)

Sponsored Links
Ok people I have noticed hairline cracks in the overskim- will these be ok once filled or will they continue to crack? i dont want the whole house to crack so I could knock it all off and board it before its too late but i really dont wanna do it.

Can you flexible filler that can be paited over?

Your comments please

Thanks
Adam

If they are only hairline then you'l find that you may be able to get away with just painting them over...certainly worth a try before you start carving the wall up.

The trouble with flexible filler is it shrinks and needs quite a few applications..I wouldnt bother with it this time.

Once yo start filling you will leave 'scars' all over the wall and it could end up looking worse than it did before.

Go for two decent coats of emulsion first and then see how it looks

so seal with two watered down coats?

do i need to put proper coat of emulsion on before I put my own colour on?

If so I've had some paint from the decorators at work. I have some glidden I think it is. Vinyl and matt also a bit of dulux trade-vinyl and two cans of leyland matt emulsion. Will this be ok?

Thanks for comments

Am I right in thinking the longer I leave the plaster the better?

Thanks mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back