Newby Flooring Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I'm new here but looking forward to lots of useful help and advice from those in the know...

I have recently purchased a mid 30's semi, rural aspect etc...(set the scene)...Lots to do so lots of future posts, however - first request for advice:

We fancy the idea of having wood floors throughout - I have lifted all carpets and underlay to find we have pine floor boards throughout (normal I guess) apart from the groundfloor kitchen and bathroom which are concrete. The boards are generally in good physical condition, although some seem to have been part stained, the usual paint stains and flecks too, and some are damaged from lifting for electrics.

Now, we want a decent looking floor, but I fancy keeping the original boards...so I assume:

Tap in all nail heads, lift and replace the more heavily damaged boards, then sand back to original surface...fill board gaps with pva/dust mix, then finish sand...we want a natural finish too, to keep things light, so maybe vanish and seal?

Anyhow, is my plan a good one, or do I need to modify!? Advice is much appreciated!!

Netto :D

Sponsored Links
Hi Netto

Sounds like a sound plan, two things though. do the floorboards have T&G connections? If not, filling the gaps will be an ungoing battle I'm afraid.
And pine does tend to turn organgy when stained wiht a natural stain/varnish/oil. To avoid that it's best to chose for a darker colour (Golden Oak, Antique Oak etc).

WoodYouLike said:
Hi Netto

Sounds like a sound plan, two things though. do the floorboards have T&G connections? If not, filling the gaps will be an ungoing battle I'm afraid.
And pine does tend to turn organgy when stained wiht a natural stain/varnish/oil. To avoid that it's best to chose for a darker colour (Golden Oak, Antique Oak etc).

Nice one, thanks Woody...no T&G, just straight forward, run of the mill floor boards, nailed to the joists as they come! It's not fancy or luxury looking, but we dont want that look - boards and rugs will suit us fine!

Your comment re the gaps - would the pva mix not be flexible enough?! We like the wood floor idea, but dont wanna freeze to death in the winter - I guess lifting each board and running it flush to the next would be too problematic? anyhow, thanks!

Netto said:
Your comment re the gaps - would the pva mix not be flexible enough?! We like the wood floor idea, but dont wanna freeze to death in the winter - I guess lifting each board and running it flush to the next would be too problematic? anyhow, thanks!
Draft is the problem with old-fashion floorboards. They cover your ventilation area underneath and will react with seasonal movement: i.e any material used to fill the gaps will eventually fall through, plus lifting all and laying again flush will only help for a little while until seasonal movement begins again.
Sorry ;)

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
Netto said:
Draft is the problem with old-fashion floorboards. They cover your ventilation area underneath and will react with seasonal movement: i.e any material used to fill the gaps will eventually fall through, plus lifting all and laying again flush will only help for a little while until seasonal movement begins again.
Sorry ;)

Ah bejeezus! I may try it once, if only to gain the skill, and take it from there...no doubt we would have changed our minds come next spring and will carpet the place again! ;)

Netto said:
no doubt we would have changed our minds come next spring and will carpet the place again! ;)
Other option (next Spring ;)) install nice new wooden flooring on top of existing, much better, nicer, anti-allergic, easy to clean and adding more value to your home

WoodYouLike said:
Netto said:
no doubt we would have changed our minds come next spring and will carpet the place again! ;)
Other option (next Spring ;)) install nice new wooden flooring on top of existing, much better, nicer, anti-allergic, easy to clean and adding more value to your home

Hence why we went for the wood option in the first place, but it would be nice to keep what is originally there, and 'bring it out'...also saves money!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back