Newel Post cap problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the process of installing new stair balustrading. The problem is that at the top of the stairs there will be a half newel post fitted and i am not sure how to link this up with the existing door frame.

I had to take a section of the door frame out to get the new post in. However the bottom of door frame now has to somehow join up with the top of the newel post cap (at the top of the post).

Hopefully this diagram explains the problem.(ps its a rough drawing and not to scale)

Thanks for any ideas.

NewelPost.jpg

Sponsored Links
assuming the archatrave is narrower than the newel

the easiest way would have been a piece of timber the same width or slightly wider[to allow for a chamferd edge]on the wall behind the half newel and slightly higher with champherd top edge and a 12mm pocket the shape of the archatrave in the top

so perhaps you could remove the ball on top remove the rear 21mm or what ever your timber is and perhaps notch out the top of the newel to accept your bit off timber!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

this is what i did,

So did you cut a gap into the side of the newel post so that the door frame could slot into it?

the door casing is flush with the plasterwork.

the newel sits flush to the plasterwork and butts up to the casing.

i removed the half ball at the top of the newel and finished the architrave on top of the modified newel.

you can actually just see a saw cut in the plaster level with the top of the newel. bit overzealous with the saw me thinks ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back