Newly plastered walls and new skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. We've had all the walls in a 1930's house skimmed to cover all the wonderful artex, holes, superficial cracks and ancient lath and plaster which in some places came away with the multiple layers of wallpaper.

We're now ready to start painting and I'm hit with a wave of doubt.

The walls: Simply cover with 50/50 emulsion to seal before a couple of coats of emulsion to finish.

For the skirting:
  1. I'm assuming pine for longevity (rather than mdf)
  2. Apply knotting solution to knots (so they don't weep through the paint later)
  3. Fill any holes/screw-head indents with wood filler and use caulk on any gaps between skirting and walls
  4. Prime with oil-based wood primer (seals the wood, raises the grain, gives it a base for the later paint to stick to, protects from bumps as provides a rubber-like base)
  5. Wait 16-24hrs when hard-dry: sand with 240 grade paper
  6. Apply oil-based undercoat
  7. When dry (e.g. 16hrs) lightly sand away paint 'nibs'.
  8. Finish with 2 coats of oil-based satinwood (de-nibbing between coats).
This info is based on (amongst others): //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1810184#1810184#ixzz2l2QwxDfe

All this sounds fine to me, but other suggestions include:
  1. Paint before fixing -- I assume touching up and filling after
  2. Prime the back of the wood.
  3. Use pre-primed MDF
  4. Only use 1 coat of satinwood to finish
  5. Prime, undercoat + 2 topcoats ... I need to be able to convince the daughter the cost and extra effort is worth it --- it's her house after all :)
Then there's the best order to do it all in.
I assume we should paint walls/ceiling then skirting each day.

Sorry for the raft of questions and I appreciate being able to tap into your experience :p

Andy -- trying to get it right first time for a change :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back