Next door extension planned

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All ...getting conflicting advice on this one from my appointed surveyor..and everybody else it seems..
Briefly my extension built in 70s was modernised by my builder in 2009.A new roof overhangs my neighbours property 2" on his pebbledashing. Ie the facia board and lead flashing by 2"
3 owners and 11 years on my neighbour wants to join my wall....and cover a join with flashing..i refused as I did not want to be beholden to a neighbour should repairs need doing...my surveyor now tells me he has the right to remove the facia from my extension so he can join up and it will not be deemed criminal damage as it is over his side of the boundary wall... comments please..and where to go from here...regards

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi Andy ..Thats what hes saying...yes.
ive said in reply the original neighbour was ok with it when it was done, and it was like it when you bought the house 6 years later.
i also suggested he build his extension away from mine.

If your extension is on the boundary (and from what you said, it is), why don't you let the neighbour join their extension to yours?
The rest of the house is joined if I understand correctly.
The roof will need to be the same height as yours and of same material.
In fact, if you have felt and they want fiberglass, they would probably do yours free.
If you don't agree they might leave one of those stupid 4 inch gaps in which all sort of stuff gets trapped and the walls are permanently wet and inaccessible.

Sponsored Links
It's less than 20 years so the overhang is a trespass.

You can remove it if you like, back to the boundary and then it can't be joined.

The neighbour may well accept it where it is (grant a quasi-licence) on the condition he can join to it.

Otherwise , you are into a world of legal wrangling with no guaranteed outcome other than emptying you bank account.

Any solicitor would love this sort of litigation with all sort of digging medieval laws with the only intent to make a gigantic profit.
You would probably be looking at negotiation (chargeable), 3 trials (1 abandoned, 1 adjourned) and and black hole in your bank account.
Oh, almost forgot the roofer bill to remove the offending fascia.
Good luck if you want to take this route.

I never understand builders/home owners like this who take liberties on or over others peoples property and expect no comebacks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back