Nightmare refilling CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I'm trying to refill the system, there are 22 radiators and I am trying to fill them one by one starting with the lowest (as the book says), but each time I open a bleed valve a little air comes out of that radiator and then it stops filling - if I go to another radiator the same thing happens. Should I open the bleed valves on all the ground floor radiators at the same time?

Sponsored Links
what system have you ?
if its gravity is the f/e tank filling the system ok ?

Yes, it's gravity and the water is coming into the F?E tank just fine - the propblem seems to be distributing the water from the F?E tank to the radiators...

if you place your finger over the feed pipe to the system in the bottom of the f/e can you feel it trying to pull your finger in ?

did the f/e tank fully empty when system drained ?

check any motorised valves are open you may have an airlock in the pipework somewhere.

Sponsored Links
mad mike if it continues to be difficult to fill 22 rads consider pressure filling from mains or providing a temporary filling loop it will save you lots of time especially if you have to drain down in future
hope this helps

Cold feed sounds partially blocked, or the gate valve in the pipe work could have broken and not opened properly when you turned it.

Thanks everybody who replied - all sorted now - I think the trick was getting the motorised valve into the right position (i.e. calling for heating) the airlocks seemed to clear when I briefly turned the CH control to ON postion and suddenly air was hissing out of all the rads. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back