Nissan almera noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Nissan Almera (52 plate, 1. 5 petrol n16 engine), has developed a noise, sort of like a whistly, woo-woo noise, sounds like it is coming from the front of the car, not sure where, as I can only hear it while driving.

It happens when I am going approx 20-40 mph.

It doesn't matter what gear I am in, and the noise keeps going even if I put the clutch down and coast for a bit, so I'm assuming it is not the gearbox?

If I even slightly touch the foot brakes it stops.

If I turn the wheel slightly to one side, it sometimes stops also.

If I put the hand brake on slightly, it keeps going, so I'm guessing it is somewhere at the front of the car. It's going to go in to a decent local garage to be looked at, but any ideas what I should be asking the garage to check?

It had an MOT a couple of weeks back, so in theory, it shouldn't be the brake pads being low, although the people doing the MOT are a bit dodgy, so I can't rule it out (had to get it done through them for various reasons unfortunately). Wheel bearings? Axle bearings? Brakes dragging? Something more nasty somewhere in the front end?

Sponsored Links
If the squeal stops when you touch the brake pedal then its just the pads lightly rubbing the discs.
Its best to remove the pads, get rid of all of the dust and then reassemble, using coppaslip grease on the backs of the pads and any sliding surfaces.
John :)

Could be a front wheel bearing but that usually makes a noise more like a tram.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back