no c/h...no h/w

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Miracle of miracles,after borrowing a brand new gas valve,fitting it and attempting to light the pilot with no susses whatsoever, (even after putting some extra heat with a blow torch (very low heat)) I was forced to take it off and refit my old one back, light the pilot ,no problem,turned the thermostat on, and the main gas came on!!!!fantastic!! BUT,I still have no h/w or c/h!....With the diverting valve in mid position and everything turned on , the pump is working but the pipes are not heating up. When the system is electrically off and I move the leaver in the diverting valve,I get the right response,the mechanism inside moves under preasure,but when the system is "on"the leaver is just dangling there and it looks to meas if the stopper inside is over port "A"sutting off the central heating,but this still does not explain why the sytem is not getting hot when in mid position. Could this be a wiring problem? the diverting valve I took off was a "Barlow" the new one is a "Siemens" which looks just like a "Honeywell"
I would be very gratefull for your advise

All the best philipasturias.

Sponsored Links
This sounds like a corgi job, would you happen to be corgi registered?

I would expect you will not get any advice here except for call in a corgi registered engineer asap to check your boiler.

1.you have said you replaced the gas valve

2. you make no mention whether you are competent

3. you make no mention as to how you checked for soundness

4. you make no mention of what boiler/system you have

5. Guess work with gas is just NOT acceptable.

Sorry to be so blunt but it is just not diy.

You used a blow lamp on the gas valve?????????????????????????

philipasturias

Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:00 pm Post Subject: Boiler will not fire???

Hallo there you salt of the earth!!...I have a Glow Worm space saver mk2 and my problem is that the boiler will not fire.I took the cover of the diverting valve to find one of the springs of it's hook,I put it back but still no joy,I therefor changed it thinking it must be faulty,but still no luck.I then called a plumber who had a good look arrownd and could find nothing wrong and thought that the gas valve in the boiler must be at fault;I had this checked by an engeener on the bench and found it was ok ,the plumer fitted it back ,but still no gas I chenged the themocapol myself .I also had the system looked at by an electrician who said it was ok.So,the pilot light goes out when I turn the boiler thermostat on,...there is no gas coming though to be ignited...I can hear the gas valve clicking...I have changed the thermocapol...I have changed the diverting valve and my wife is moaning about the cold.I would be very thankfull for any ideas and help that anybody might give my.thank you.

sifu

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 2:18 pm Post Subject:

Pilot may need cleaning, adjusting or be too small - Corgi eng job. Otherwise, take a look at the gas meter when you turn it on and see if the dial turns briefly when you turn the boiler stat up. If the pilot is going out when the gas valve opens you may have a faulty meter governor - this is a job for Transco.

What was the corgi engineers opinion of the pilot light?

PS I am not a gas engineer (that's why I don't touch it)

Sponsored Links
Hi,

BDL has made an very important point so therefore I need to ask everyone there opinion on this. Can someone tell me please for my safety reason, what can a DYIer can do and can't do in the following areas :confused: .

Water Tanks, Boiler, Gas,
Controls & Wiring,
Radiator & Valves:
Motorised Valves,
Hot Water etc..........

I want to try fixing things by myself but on the other hand I also want to be vigilant as well.

Appreciate you input.

This should really be a new toipc I think but, I will leave the gas and electrics to current practicioners.

For plumbing safety, (and legality in the first two):

you should not operate on unvented cylinders with a storage capacity greater than 15 litres.

you should not leave the filling loop connected on sealed systems. (see this

you should check expansion vessels anually (if the setting instructions are not in your boiler or system information, get some professional help.)

There may be others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back