No CH lukewarm water!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any of you help ? I\\\'ve just got back off holiday , I\\\'ve turned the boiler back on and I have now got lukewarm hot water and no central heating , well the radiator nearest the hot water tank gets warm but all the others upstairs and the ones downstairs are stone cold . I don\\\'t know much about central heating systems but I\\\'ve picked up a few tips off this forum so have managed to check a few things .
1. The pump seems to work - ie there is hot water coming from the boiler through the pump and then to the 3 way valve.

2. At the 3 way valve the hot water either goes right to feed the CH or left to fill the hot water cylinder or both ways if both CH and HW are selected.

3. The thermostat on the strapped to the boiler is set to 80 degress C .

The water is piping hot as it goes to the CH system so I can\\\'t understand why none of the radiators are even warm .

The hot water that feeds the indirect hot water cyliner is hot but it doesn\\\'t seem to be heating the water up to the correct temp around the coil.
There is an air bleed pipe at the side of the cylinder but is too tight to open with the screwdriver I\\\'ve got - could it be air in the system . I\\\'ve bled all the rads .

A month ago I had to rebalance the radiators as the one in the living room furthest from the boiler was stone cold . After doing this the HW and CH worked great but now its failed again . The boiler has been up now for 24 hours since coming back but the only way to get hot water is via the immersion override but no CH. Any ideas ? :confused:
Cheers

ps Just one more thing . When the boiler does fire up the pilot light comes on but after 30 seconds or so the pilot light goes out . Is this what should be expected as the water coming out of the boiler is hot . I don't know if pilot light comes on when there is demand for hot water / CH or should it be on all the time ?

Sponsored Links
"There is an air bleed pipe at the side of the cylinder but is too tight to open with the screwdriver I've got - could it be air in the system . "

Vital you open that air vent. It alone can stop the whole system working.

Sludge is possibly a roblem but it usually goes for lower rads first. Classic symptom is cold at centre bottom of rad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back