No flow in CH circuit, hot water fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gravity-fed CH and hot water system on a Y-plan.

The boiler is working fine and the hot water is heating without a problem however I can't get water around the CH circuit at all.

When we moved into this house neither the hot water nor the central heating were working. The hot water is working after replacing the mid-position actuator for the 3-port valve.

See the diagram at the bottom.

If I run water round the hot water circuit (coloured red) until it gets hot, then switch on the central heating, then I can feel hot water flush into the first six inches to a foot of pipe then it stops and sits there slowly cooling.

It seems like there is an air lock somewhere but I just don't know where.

I have flushed mains pressure water around the system, into and out of radiators on all floors. Usually while doing this I have pushed into the flow and out of the return or vice versa with all radiators shut down so the water must flow around the main circuit. I have also at times blocked off the expansion and refill pipes to the header tank while flushing the system. I have done this more times and in more ways than I can remember.

When testing the system after flushing it I have refilled the radiators, opened all the radiator valves, put on the hot water to get hot water circulating then switched the valve over to the CH circuit (by switching to "hot water and central heating" and turning down the thermostat on the hot water). I always get the same result (a little water flushing into the pipe, then stopping).

When I refill a radiator that I have drained. I often find the system has negative pressure and starts sucking. Usually I have to pump water into the central heating though a drain valve or radiator valve in order to refill and bleed all the radiators.

I have drained the system down and haven't found any sludge when doing so or when draining the radiators (the water is a little black in the bottom of the radiators that is all).

Referring to the diagram I have included:

* the red pipes are part of the hot-water heating loop and are circulating fine
* I have drained water out though the purple pipe and pulled hot water though, so these appear to be fine.
* Whatever blockage is causing the problem must be on a part of the circuit that is common to all of the radiators since no water is circulating around the CH system at all.
* This only leaves the pipes I have coloured blue. In the diagram this looks like quite a lot of pipe but it is actually about eighteen inches to two feet of pipe which is dead level.

I have had two plumbers in. The first one suggested replacing all of the pipes for the ground floor radiators. It seems obvious that that can't be the problem. I think the only reason he picked this is that he can get to these pipes. Perhaps I'm being unfair.

The second plumber has so far basically just repeated what I have done and and said "this is very strange".

I have also talked to a few friends who have plumbed their own homes, all so far a pretty baffled.

I think that my next step might be to start cutting pipes and short-circuit the CH system to see whether I can get water pumping round it but I a loathe to do that. I had never touched CH system before this.

All input and suggestions gratefully receeived.

The above diagram is simplified and misses some details, ask me is anything is unclear.

I'm not sure exactly where the expansion over-flow connects into the system. That's something I will check.

PS. I'm pretty tired right now. I hope this post makes sense. I will re-read it tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure the mid pos valve opens correctly when heating is selected? A complete failure of the ch circulation is unusual. What make of mid pos valve is fitted?

When I refill a radiator that I have drained. I often find the system has negative pressure and starts sucking. Usually I have to pump water into the central heating though a drain valve or radiator valve in order to refill and bleed all the radiators.

I would try and sort this out first. There must be a problem with the F&E float valve or a restiction in the pipework taking this cold feed down to near the boiler.

When there is no demand for hot water, can you get the boiler to fire up for heating (even if it's only for a short while). That should mean the 3-port valve actuator is opening the heating port correctly although it's also just possible the valve innards are damaged.

@jackthom - yes it has been on my mind that I should fix this as it looks like a clear problem. The header tank is full and refills itself properly. The pipe just goes straight down through the house. I guess I need to start by draining the system again and seeing if and water is coming down from the refill.

It could be that the refill itself is fine but whatever blockage is preventing circulation is also preventing the system from refilling.

Probably best to investigate the problems I can see though.

Sponsored Links
@45yearsagasman

Pretty sure, yes. The hot water does flush into the pipe to begin with but then stops.

Also by pumping cold water into the system (though a radiator valve) and seeing which pipes at the Y-valve get cold I can trace which way the flow is being sent.

The valve seems to be working correctly in all 3 positions ("left", "right" and "both").

The actuator is a Drayton BGMVSP-23, I don't know about the valve itself. I can't see any model number or manufacturer on it. It just looks like a lump of brass :)

When testing, at times I have taken the actuator off and switched the valve over manually to be totally sure it was all the way over to CH and not short-circuiting though the hot water. (note there doesn't seem to be a balancing valve on the hot water side, I'm not 100% certain on that but not so far as I have found).

EDIT: also when I draw hot water off one of the flow side valves on a radiator, the hot water goes though the valve into the CH side correctly.

That's why I concluded it must be the return side of the circuit

I have discovered that the labels on my CH expansion and refill pipes were the wrong way around.

See amended diagram:

Everything now makes much more sense.

It is very clear that the problem is in the blue section of pipe. Possibly some blockage has come down though the refill.

I just have to have a think how to clear or bypass it now.

If you have a magnet on hand you should be able to locate the areas of pipework where there are deposits of magnetite.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back