No hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I have a economy 7 water heater and i have no hot water,
I have changed the element that comes on in the night,
The Fuse is ok in the spur supplying the timer.
When i turn the boost switch round the boost light comes on.
There isn't an MCB for it so i guess it runs off the Socket cuircut.

Any Idea what the problem is ?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Does the boost actually heat the water? If it does suspect the timer.

you changed the element

it doesn't work

Which of these things happened first, and was there a time-lag or was it immediate?

Why did you change the element?

p.s. have you got a multimeter? If not, pop down to the high street with £10 and get one, it will be surprisingly useful in tracing the fault.

Rupert I'm quite familiar with the Rules, but thanks for pointing them out. The question related to two very different fields. I don't imagine all the plumbers read the electrics forum and vise versa. In this scenario, the rule seems a little restricting. It would have been nice if you had at least linked from the locked topic, to the one you left open. I could have at least replied to the guy who took the time to respond.

John, I have a multimeter. The element was changed because everything else was checked and worked fine.

I've posted here, because none of the usual tests have picked up anything.

Sponsored Links
As for the boost,
I'm getting hot water when i wait an hour after putting the boost on.

Viewer

Did you mean the timer that makes the night time element power up or the main timer owned by EDF ?

If you're that familiar with the rules, why have you just put up 3 posts in a row? :eek:

Suspect the night time timer as the one element is working, you changed the other, the power supply is OK and your problem is that the water doesn't heat up at night. You could check either with a multi-meter or disconnect the element connectors (power off first of course) and connect a lamp fitting to the connectors. Switch onto automatic and, at the required time the lamp should come on. The other thing to check is the reset on the element head. Once over temperature they will cut out and have to be manually reset. Small so not obvious that they have tripped. Push in with tiny screwdriver to be sure.
Best of luck
V

Viewer

Many thanks mate,
I think i must have pushed in the reset button because it has now worked,
fingers crossed it doesn't keep cutting out but at least i know what to do.

Yet again many thanks for your help

Take care

L

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back